Department of Chemical Engineering
- +61 3 990 53437
- Room 309, Building 82, Clayton Campus
- Bioengineering and soft matters
Dr. Lizhong He completed Bachelor of Science in Applied Chemistry and Master of Engineering in Biochemical Engineering at Tianjin University, China. Dr He carried out his PhD research at GKSS Research Centre, Germany, working on self-assembly and affinity adsorption of glycoconjugates (glycolipids and glycoproteins). He then spent two years as a postdoctoral researcher at the Max-Planck-Institute for Polymer Research in Mainz, where he studied functional tethered lipid membranes. Before joining Monash University in December 2011, Dr. He was an AINSE Research Fellow and Deputy Director at Center for Biomolecular Engineering, Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology at The University of Queensland.
- CHE4171 Biochemical engineering
- CHE3171 Bioprocess technology
- Dimitrijev-Dwyer M, He L-Z, James M, Nelson A, Middelberg APJ 2013. Insights into the role of protein molecule size and structure on interfacial properties using designed sequences. J Journal of the Royal Society Interface 10: 20120987
- Dimitrijev-Dwyer M, He L-Z, James M, Nelson A, Wang L, Middelberg APJ. 2012. The Effects of Acid Hydrolysis on Protein Biosurfactant Molecular, Interfacial, and Foam Properties: pH Responsive Protein Hydrolysates. Soft Matter. 8:5131-5139
- Hartono SB, Gu W, Kleitz F, Liu J, He L-Z, Middelberg APJ, Yu C, Lu GQ, Qiao, SZ. 2012. Poly-l-lysine Functionalized Large Pore Cubic Mesostructured Silica Nanoparticles as Biocompatible Carriers for Gene Delivery. ACS Nano. 6: 2104C2117.
- Liu J, Wang B, Hartonoa SB, Liu TT, Kantharidis P,. Middelberg APJ, Lu GQ, He L-Z, Qiao S-Z. 2012. Fabrication of Magnetic Silica Spheres with Large Nanopores for Nucleic Acid Adsorption and Cellular Uptake. Biomaterials. 33:970-978
- He L-Z, Wang H,, Garamus VM, Hanley T, Lensch M, Gabius HJ, Fee CJ, and Middelberg A. 2010. Analysis of MonoPEGylated Human Galectin-2 by Small-Angle X-ray and Neutron Scattering: Concentration Dependence of PEG Conformation in the Conjugate. Biomacromolecules 11:3504-3510
- He L-Z., Onaizi SA, Dimitrijev-Dwyer M, Malcolm AS, Shen HH, Dong C-C, Holt SA, Thomas RK, Middelberg AP. 2011. Comparison of positional surfactant isomers for displacement of rubisco protein from the air-water interface. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 360:617-622.
- Ding Y, Chuan Y-P, He L-Z, Middelberg APJ. 2010. Modeling the competition between aggregation and self-assembly during virus-like particle processing. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 107:550-560. (front cover and spotlight article)
- He L-Z, Malcolm AS, Dimitrijev M, Onaizi SA, Shen HS, Holt SA, Dexter AF, Thomas RK, Middelberg APJ. 2009. Cooperative tuneable interactions between a designed peptide biosurfactant and positional isomers of SDOBS at the air-water interface. Langmuir. 25:4021-4026.
- He L-Z, Middelberg A. Special issue - downstream processing. 2006. Food and Bioproducts Processing. 84:1-1.
I am currently leading a research team including six PhD students. I have previously supervised four PhD students to completion.
- Engineering Bio-interface
- Enzymes and biocatalysts
- Drug delivery using nanoparticles
- Peptide-based biomaterials
- neutron and x-ray scattering