- +61 3 990 54956
- Room 138, Building 60, Clayton Campus
- Ingenieur d'Etat en Genie Civil, Ecole Polytechnique d'Alger, Algerie, 1984. PhD in Civil Engineering, University of Glasgow, United Kingdom, 1990.
Dr. A (Malek) Bouazza is a Professor in Civil Engineering. He is a Visiting Professor at Zhejiang University, China and Adjunct Research Professor at Cardiff University, U.K. He has also held a number of visiting scholar positions at University of Missouri-Columbia, USA, Arizona State University, USA, University of Malaysia-Pahang, Malaysia and Queen's University, Canada. He has been appointed recently to the EPA Victoria landfill expert advisory Panel. He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers (FIEAust). He has an international reputation for research in Geosynthetics and Environmental Geotechnics. His research has been recognised by a number of awards including, recently, the 2015 R.M. Quigley Award (honourable mention) from the Canadian Geotechnical Society, the 2014 E.H. Davis Memorial Award from the Australian Geomechanics Society, the 2014 Zeng Guoxi Lecture from Zhejiang University, China, and the 2013 International Geosynthetics Society (IGS)Plaque for significant contributions to the International Geosynthetics Society and outstanding technical contributions to the geosynthetics discipline, the 2010 Telford Premium Prize, Institution of Civil Engineers, U.K. and the 2006 International Geosynthetics Society Award and Gold Medal for outstanding contribution to advances in the scientific and engineering developments of geosynthetics. Professor Bouazza is very prominent in technical and professional society activities and serves on a number of international technical committees. Currently, He is the Chair of the International Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) Technical Committee TC 215 on Environmental Geotechnics. Secretary of ISSMGE TC308 on Energy Geotechnics. He is a member of the Standard Australia committee C20 on Geosynthetics. He served as council member of the International Geosynthetics Society (IGS) from 2004 to 2012 and was one the founding chairs of the IGS TC on barrier systems established in 2010. He also was the President of the Australasian Chapter of the International Geosynthetics Society (ACIGS) from 2003 to 2008 and from 2012 to 2015. He is editorial board member of 10 International Journals. His skills and experience in the area geosynthetics and environmental geotechnics are well recognized in Australia and abroad. In addition to his academic commitments, Dr. Bouazza gives specialist advice for the industry both nationally and internationally.
News on the go:
Professor Bouazza presents a keynote lecture on GCLs in unconventional gas sites at the 1st International Symposium on GeoEnergy and GeoEnvironment, Hong Kong
Professor Bouazza appointed Visiting Professor at Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Professor Bouazza appointed to EPA Victoria landfill expert advisory panel
Professor Bouazza chairs the ISSMGE Environmental Geotechnics TC 215 meeting at the 15th Asian Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering held in Fukuoka, Japan.
Professor Bouazza Chairs a TC 215 Special Session at the 15th Asian Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering held in Fukuoka, Japan.
Professor Bouazza chairs the ISSMGE Environmental Geotechnics TC 215 meeting at the 17th European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering held in Edinburgh
Professor Bouazza receives the 2015 R.M. Quigley Award (Honourable mention) at GeoQuebec 2015, Quebec City, Canada, from the Canadian Geotechnical Society for best paper runner up published in the Canadian Geotechnical Journal in 2014. The paper is entitled "Fluid loss as a quick method to evaluate hydraulic conductivity of geosynthetic clay liners under acidic conditions Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 2014, 51(2): 158-163, by Liu,Y., Gates, W.P., Bouazza, A. & Rowe, R.K." And, long before this year's awards ceremony, the same paper was recognized as the Canadian Geotechnical Journal Editors Choice paper in February 2014.
NSF Success: Professor Bouazza Partner collaborator in the newly National Science Foundation Engineering Research Centre on Bio-mediated and Bio-inspired Geotechnics established at Arizona State University (Funded by an US$18.5M NSF grant). You can learn more about the Centres activities here: http://fullcircle.asu.edu/research/asu-taking-reins-of-new-national-geotechnical-engineering-research-center/ and here: http://biogeotechnics.org
Professor Bouazza presents an invited lecture on the influence of intermittent and continuous operating modes on the thermal behaviour of a full scale geothermal energy pile at the Int. Symposium on Energy Geotechnics held in Barcelona, Spain.
Monash Geothermal Energy piles Project on the news in the The Age newspaper. Check this link: http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/deep-heat-geothermal-energy-an-earthly-power-to-be-reckoned-with-20150517-gh0tcr
Energy research team presents on Ocean Geothermal energy conversion and Geothermal energy piles at the World Geothermal Congress 2015, Melbourne.
Professor Bouazza presents on measurements of gas diffusion and gas permeability of GCLs sequentially and on GCL drying under elevated temperatures at Geosynthetics 2015 held in Portland, USA.
Paper entitled "Post-temperature Effects on Shaft Capacity of a Full-Scale Geothermal Energy Pile" published in Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE is available online (ascelibrary.org/doi/full/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001266)
Paper by Liu,Y. (PhD student), Gates, W.P., Bouazza, A. & Rowe, R.K. Fluid loss as a quick method to evaluate hydraulic conductivity of geosynthetic clay liners under acidic conditions Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 2014, 51(2): 158-163, selected as one of the "Editor's Choice" papers for 2014. The paper has been judged to be of a particularly high calibre and of topical importance.
E.H. Davis Memorial Award, Australian Geomechanics Society awarded to Prof. Malek Bouazza
Professor Bouazza appointed to the Editorial board of the International Journal of Renewable Energy
Professor Bouazza awarded an ARC Linkage grant to investigate the performance of waste containment lining systems in Antarctica
Professor Bouazza invited to deliver the 8th Zeng Guo-Xi Lecture, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, P.R.China (to be presented in October 2014)
Professor Bouazza chaired the session entitled "water retention characteristics" at the 6th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils (UNSAT2014) held recently in Sydney (2-4 July). Two of his PhD students presented their work at the same conference.
Professor Bouazza presents on Harnessing Energy from pile foundations at the Monash German-Australian Chamber of Industry and Commerce Joint Workshop on Energy Efficiency in Buildings
Professor Bouazza gives a seminar on Thermal behaviour and shaft resistance of geothermal energy piles at Arizona State University, Tempe, USA
Professor Bouazza will attend the 10th international Geosynthetics Conference, Berlin where 3 of his papers will be presented
Runner-up for best paper (Honourable mention) 2013 awarded to Rao Singh and Abdelmalek Bouazza for their paper entitled "Thermal conductivity of geosynthetics" published in Geotextiles and Geomembranes in 2013.
Professor Bouazza appointed to the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Geosynthetics and Ground Engineering (Springer)
Professor Bouazza delivers the 8th Zeng Guo-Xi Lecture, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, P.R.China
Professor Bouazza delivers a keynote lecture at the 2nd China National Conference on multi-field coupled problems of geomaterials and geoenvironmental engineering held at Tongji University, Shanghai
Professor Bouazza convenes the 7th International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics from 10 to 14 Nov., held in Melbourne. More than 400 delegates and 34 exhibitors attended the event (www.7iceg2014.com).
Professor Bouazza awarded an ARC Discovery grant to investigate gas migration through geomaterials.
Professor Bouazza appointed to the Chair of the International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering Technical Committee on Environmental Geotechnics TC 215
-Monash Geothermal Pile Project on the News in USA in the March/April Deep Foundations magazine (see link below, from page 51): http://www.epaperflip.com/aglaia/viewer.aspx docid=34a0fb5487a74af68f9ae565063c2486
-Monash Geothermal Project on the News in Australia in The Age (see links below):
Science weekly column in The Age, about the prospects for geothermal energy, can be found at: http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/deep-and-meaningful-20130510-2jcd9.html
The column follows on the interview given to Fairfax Science Matters (The Age and Sydney Morning Herald)late last year. The video of the interview can be watched by following this link. :http://media.smh.com.au/news/science/science-matters-underground-power-play-3831675.html?rand=1353977847616
28 January: Prof. Malek Bouazza will give a lecture on Geosynthetics in Mining Applications-Golder Associates, Nottingham, U.K.
21 February: Short Course on Design, Analysis and Performance of Basal Reinforced Embankments- Monash Uni. Law Chambers, Melbourne CBD.
30 May: 3rd most downloaded paper in 2012 in Geotextiles and Geomebranes is: Improvement of soft soils using geogrid encased stone columns Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Volume 27, Issue 3, June 2009, Pages 167-175 Gniel, J.; Bouazza, A.
June: IGS Plaque awarded to Prof. Malek Bouazza
1-3 July: International Symposium on Coupled Phenomena in Environmental Geotechnics, Torino, Italy. Prof. Malek Bouazza will give a special lecture on Energy pile thermal tests
2-6 September: 18th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (18th ICSMGE), Paris, France. Prof. Malek Bouazza will present the general report on Environmental Geotechnics.
18-20 November: 2nd African Geosynthetics Conference (GeoAfrica 2013), Accra, Ghana. Prof. Malek Bouazza will present a keynote lecture on Geosynthetics in Mining Applications.
- 2015: R.M. Quigley Award (Honourable Mention), Canadian Geotechnical Society
- 2014: 8th Zeng Guo-Xi Lecture, Zhejiang University, China
- 2014 Runner-up for best paper (Honourable mention) published in Geotextiles and Geomembranes in 2013 for the paper "Thermal conductivity of geosynthetics" by Rao Singh and Abdelmalek Bouazza
- 2014: E.H. Davis Memorial Lecture, Australian Geomechanics Society
- 2013: International Geosynthetics Society (IGS)Plaque for significant contributions to the International Geosynthetics Society and outstanding technical contributions to the geosynthetics discipline.
- 2011: Best Paper published in Geosynthetics International for 2010: Zornberg, J.G., Bouazza, A., & McCartney, J.S. (2010). Geosynthetic capillary barriers: Current state of knowledge. Geosynthetics International, Volume 17, Issue 5, Pages 273-300
- 2010: Telford Premium Prize, Institution of Civil Engineers, U.K.
- 2009: Runner-up for best paper (Honorable mention) published in Geotextiles and Geomembranes in 2008 for the paper "Analytical modelling of gas leakage rate through a geosynthetic clay liner-geomembrane composite liner due to a circular defect in the geomembrane" co-authored by Bouazza, A., Vangpaisal, T, Abuel-Naga, H.M. & Kodikara, J.
- 2008: Don Douglas Fellowship Prize awarded to one of my PhD Students (J. Gniel) for the work on geosynthetics encased stone columns (Best paper).
- 2006: International Geosynthetics Society Award and gold medal for outstanding contribution to advances in the scientific and engineering developments of geosynthetics for the work on gas migration through geosynthetic clay liners.
- 2005: Dean's award for research excellence.
Current Funded Research Projects:
-National Science Foundation Engineering Research Centre on Bio-mediated and Bio-inspired Geotechnics, Arizona State University, USA, (NSF, 2015-2020, Partner collaborator)
-Bursting the bubble on landfills: Reducing their environmental footprint by mitigating landfill gas fugitive emissions through geosynthetics systems (ARC Discovery, 2015-2017, in collaboration with Queen's Uni,Canada)
-The effects of rigid inclusions stiffness on load distribution within geosynthetic reinforced piled embankments (Monash/industry funding, 2015-2017)
-Gas sealing integrity of soil-cement-bentonite slurry cut-off walls (Golder Associates, 2014-2015)
-Waste Containment Lining Systems for Antarctica: Ensuring their Performance Under Extreme Conditions (ARC Linkage, 2014-2017, in collaboration with Geofabrics Australasia, TRI Australia & Queen's University, Canada)
-An experimentally-validated thermo-hydro-mechanical theory for waste containment lining systems (ARC Discovery, 2013-2016, in collaboration with Uni Sydney and Queen's Uni,Canada).
-Rock mattress behaviour and performance of CMC supported geosynthetic reinforced embankments (Monash/industry funding, 2013-2016)
-Remediation of petroleum contaminants in the Antarctic and subantarctic(Australia Antarctica Division, 2012-2017)
-Turning pile foundations into sources of renewable energy: addressing remaining geotechnical challenges (ARC Linkage, 2012-2015, in collaboration with Vibropile, Golder Associates and Geoexchange Australia).
Current Partially Funded Research Projects:
- Design, construction and monitoring of experimental containment areas used for treatment of fuel contaminated soil at Australia's Casey Station, Antarctica (Australia Antarctica Division, in collaboration with Queen's University, Canada).
-Hydro-Thermal behaviour of Geosynthetic Clay Liners in contact with high temperature brines.
- Monitoring of temperature changes in geomembrane liners under landfill operating conditions.
- Durability of geomembranes in mining applications
- Numerical modelling of heat transfer in geothermal piles
Past Major Research Projects (2000 onwards):
-Advanced nanocomposites for enhanced containment of hyper-saline leachate(ARC Discovery, 2010-2013)in collaboration with Queen's University,Canada.
-Assessment of the suitability of geosynthetic clay liners for containing metal contaminated material under freeze thaw and freezing conditions in Antarctica (Australia Antarctica Division,2013-2014)
-Greenhouse gas transfers in landfill liner covers (ARC Discovery, 2011-2013).
-Influence of scale effect on the strength of rock mass in slope stability of large open-cut mines (ARC Linkage, BHP Billiton, 2010-2013, Ranjith. PG. lead investigator).
-Improved landfill barrier design for changing climates (ARC Linkage, Geofabrics Australasia Pty. Ltd, Queen's University, Canada, 2010-2013)
-Unsaturated behaviour of GCLs (2010-2012).
- Behaviour of geosynthetic clay liners in low pH environments (mining applications), Chinese Council.
-Geothermal Energy Piles (Sustainability Victoria, Vibropile Pty. Ltd., Golder Associates Pty. Ltd., MIRVAC, GenesisNow, 2009-2012).
- Hydro-mechanical interaction in coal geosequestration of carbon dioxide (ARC Discovery, 2008-2010, Ranjith, P.G., lead investigator).
-EPA Victoria BPEM, Geosynthetics Guidelines (EPA Victoria, 2010).
-Geosynthetics in Civil Engineering (International Fibre Centre, TTNA,2009-2010).
- Soil and geotextile filtration under cyclic loads (Dr. Haque, lead Investigator).
-Prediction and controlling of pipe failures in buried water and gas pipe systems (ARC Linkage, J. Kodikara lead Investigator, 2005-2009)
- Ground Anchors using CFRP (Geotechnical Engineering Pty. Ltd., 2006-2009).
- Experimental and theoretical analysis of gas leakage rate through composite landfill covers due to geomembrane defects (ARC Discovery, 2005-2007).
- Development of a new technique to improve very soft soils using geogrid wrapped stone columns (ARC Linkage, Keller Ground Engineering, Naue Gmbh, 2006-2008).
- Unsaturated behaviour of geotextiles
- Advanced Multidimensional Imaging Analysis Platform (NHMRC, 2006).
- Advanced facility for geological sequestration of greenhouse gases (ARC, 2006).
- Settlement of MSW (ARC Linkage, Pioneer Australia, 2002-2004).
- Hydraulic durability of GCLs (ARC Linkage, Geofabrics Australasia, 2002-2003).
-Gas advective and diffusive flux through geosynthetic clay liners (ARC Discovery, 2001-2003).
- Development of efficient and effective ground improvement techniques(ARC Linkage, Frankipile Pty. Ltd, 2001-2003).
-Gas sealing integrity of CSM cut off walls (Golder Associates, 2015) -Scanning Electron Microscopic Examination of Stabilised Soils, Wheatstone LNG Project (Golder Associates, 2013)
- Evaluation of monotonic and cyclic shear interfaces of concrete piles-calcareous rock/soils/ and othet rock types for several projects, including: Al-Nakheel Tall Tower, Dubai, Metro Dubai, Dubai,AL Quds tower, Dubai, Pentominium Tower, Dubai,Burj Dubai, Dubai, Al Raha Al Wateed Tower, Abu Dhabi, Ain Shams Tower, Abu Dhabi,Dubai towers, Doha, Qatar, Angel and Rankine platforms, Western Australia.
- High pressure consolidation of calcareous rock material and Geotechnical investigations, Al Nakheel Tall Tower-Dubai (the tallest tower in the world), UAE (Golder Associates).
- Steel-Grout-concrete interface behaviour. Kipper Tuna gas offshore gravity platform Phase 1, Bass Strait, Vic (Esso-Worley Parson).
- Impact of leachate drainage and management of biogas, Springvale landfill, Victoria (EDL).
- In-situ temperature monitoring of green waste landfill cell (Clayton landfill).
- Compressibility of Biosolids for embankment construction(Golder Associates)
- Cut off wall hydraulic conductivity, Stevenson landfill(Golder Associates)
- Peer review of remediation strategy, MAFRI redevelopment project, Queenscliff
- Peer review for several landfills including:Deals rd landfill,Hallam landfill, Lyndhurst landfill,Keilor landfill,Tullamarine landfill, Victory rd landfill,Tamala landfill (WA), Map Tha Put landfill (Thailand)
- Peer review of the Long-term Hazardous waste Containment Facility (Nowingi) for the State of Victoria (Environmental Protection Agency of Victoria)
- Peer review of the development of technical parameters for long term containment facility performance requirements, Victoria (Meinhardt Pty.Ltd.)
- Non destructive verification tests of ground improvement (dynamic compaction) for several projects including: Botany Industrial park, Sydney, NSW, Banksmeadow Industrial park, Sydney, NSW, Greensborough, Melbourne, Vic.
- CIV4248: Geoengineering hazards & Environmental Geotechnics
- CIV3248: Groundwater and environmental geoengineering
- Associate Editor, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE.
- Advisory Board Member, Environmental Geotechnics
- Editorial Board Member, Geotextiles and Geomembranes.
- Editorial Board Member, Geosynthetics International.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Lowland Technology.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering.
- Editorial Board Member, Geosynthetics.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, SEAGS
- Editorial Board Member,International Journal of Renewable Energy.
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Geosynthetics and Ground Engineering (Springer)
- Louis King, thesis tile: The effects of rigid inclusions stiffness on load distribution within geosynthetic reinforced piled embankments
- Aamir Mahawich, Thesis title: Soil biocementation
- Bing Fang, Thesis title: Pile-soil interface behaviour under temperature cycles
- Mohammed Faizal, Thesis title: Thermal behaviour of energy piles
- Daniel King, Thesis title: Rock mattress behaviour and performance of CMC supported reinforced embankments
- Michael Von'steen, Thesis title: raft foundations
- Gary Yu, Thesis title: Thermal response of energy piles (submitted)
- Bill Wang, Thesis title: Laboratory and field performance of geothermal energy piles.
- Asli Acikel, thesis title: Unsaturated hydraulic behaviour of GCLs
- Ali Asgar, thesis title: GCLs in coal seam gas extraction site ponds:numerical and experimental heat modelling
- Andras Fehervari, thesis title: Application of nanotechnology approaches to develop tailored clay-composite materials to contain hypersaline mining liquors (submitted)
- Lu Zhang, thesis title: Durability of geomembranes in extreme environments
- Abdur Md. Rouf, thesis title: GCL gas permeabilty and diffusion under suction control (submitted)
- Shi Shi Shao, thesis title:A coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical (THM) behaviour of rocks related to geothermal industry (completed)
- Nadeesha Ukwattage, thesis title:Characterization and determination of soil carbon sequestration potential and soil amendment capacity (completed)
- Technical Committee, 6th European Geosynthetics Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 25-28 Sept. 2016
- Advisory Committee, 1st International Conference on Energy Geosynthetics, Kiel, Germany. 29-31 August 2016
- Chair, Organising Committee, 7th International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics, Melbourne, Nov. 2014.
- Advisory Committee, 10th International Geosynthetics Conference,Berlin, Germany, Sept. 2014
- Technical Scientific Committee, 18th Int. Conference Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Paris, France, Sept. 2013
- Technical Scientific Committee, 2nd African Regional Conference on Geosynthetics, Accra, Ghana, Nov. 2013
- Advisory Committee 11th ANZ Conference on Geomechanics, Melbourne, July 2012
- Advisory Committee, 5th Asian Geosynthetics Conf., Geosynthetics Asia 2012, Bangkok, Thailand, Dec. 2012
- Member Organising Committee, IACMAG Conf., Melbourne, May 2011
- Technical & Scientifical Committee:
*Int. Conf. on Coupled Phenomena in Env. Geotech., Torino, July 2013
*6th International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics, New Delhi, Nov.2010.
*9th International Geosynthetics Conference, Guaruja, Brazil, May 2010
*1st African Geosynthetics Conference, Cape Town, South Africa, Sept. 2009
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers Australia
- Chair Technical Committee Environmental Geotechnics TC215, International Society Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (2014-present).
- Secretary, Technical Committee Energy Geotechnics TC308, International Society Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (2010-present).
- President Australasian Chapter of the International Geosynthetics Society (2012-2015)
- Committee Member, VIC. Chapter of Australian Geomechanics Society (2009-present).
- Council Member, International Geosynthetics Society (2004-2012).
- Vice-Chair Technical Committee Environmental Geotechnics TC215, International Society Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (2010-2014).
- Chair Asian Activities committee of the International Geosynthetics Society (2008-2012)
- Chair Technical Committee on Barrier Systems, International Geosynthetics Society (2010-2012).
- Vice-president Australasian Chapter of the International Geosynthetics Society (2005-2012)
- Co-Chair Education committee of the International Geosynthetics Society (2006-2010).
- Co-Chair African Activities committee of the International Geosynthetics Society (2008-2010).
- Core member of the Environmental Geotechnics Committee TC5 of the International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) (2001-2009).
- President Australasian Chapter of the International Geosynthetics Society (2002-2004).
- Member Australian Standards Committee C20 on Geosynthetics (2003-present).
- Member American Society of Civil Eng. GeoInstitute committee on geosynthetics (2001-present)
- Landfill award panel member, Waste Management Association of Australia (2007)
- Award panel member, International Geosynthetics Society (2008 & 2010)
- Member Construction Materials Manuals Panel, Institution of Civil Engineers, U.K. (2006)
- Landfill design
- Unsaturated behaviour of geomaterials.
- Thermo-hydro-mechanical/chemical behaviour of porous media.
- Contaminant transport through soils and geosynthetics.
- Geosynthetics in landfills
- Geosynthetics in mining applications (heap leach pads, tailing dams, etc.).
- Earth reinforced structures
- Ground Improvement (Shallow and deep soil mixing, dynamic compaction, stone columns,rigid inclusions).
- Biological applications to Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental engineering.
- Geotechnical properties of soft soils.
- Energy Geotechnology (Borehole heat exchangers, geothermal geostructures, CO2 sequestration).
- Gas advective and diffusive flow in saturated and unsaturated porous media