- +61 3 990 24610
- Room 124, 60, Clayton Campus
- PhD BSc(Eng) DipEng CEng MIEI MIABSE MIStructE
Dr Colin Caprani is a Chartered Structural Engineer (CEng MIEI, MIStructE) with considerable industrial and academic experience. He has worked as a design structural engineer on a wide range of projects, including integral bridges, new-concept bridge beam development, large-scale commercial mixed-use developments, and renovation and refurbishment of listed structures. His research specializations involve highway bridge traffic loading for short- and long-span bridges; vibration serviceability of footbridges; and Intelligent Transportation System - infrastructure interaction. He has lectured on numerous courses in two universities.
- Reviewer Advances in Structural Engineering (2012-) Computers & Concrete (2012-) Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers (2012-). Journal of Bridge Engineering American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) (2010-) Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Journal of the International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety (IABMAS) (2010-) Structural Engineering International (SEI), Journal of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineers (IABSE) (2010) Engineering Structures (2007-) The Structural Engineer, Journal of the Institution of the Structural Engineers (IStructE) (2005-)
- Editor Twice guest editor of Republic of Ireland Branch edition - The Structural Engineer Journal of the Institution of the Structural Engineers (IStructE), August 2005, April 2009.
2014 Mini-symposium organizer: MS 3 Bridge Loading Measurement and Modelling and MS 7 Vulnerability Modeling and Risk Assessment of Bridges Subjected to Multiple Threats, at Seventh International Conference on Bridge Maintenance, Safety, and Management, Shanghai, China.
2012 Co-chair Bridge and Concrete Research in Ireland, co-hosted by Trinity College Dublin and Dublin Institute of Technology (www.bcri.ie).
2012 Session co-chair on Bridge Traffic Loading Sixth International Conference on Bridge Maintenance, Safety, and Management
2011 Mini-symposium organizer and chair on bridge traffic loading 11th International Conference on Application of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP).
2010 Bridge strand chair Bridge and Concrete Research in Ireland, Cork Institute of Technology and University College Cork.
2010 Session chair Bridge and Concrete Research in Ireland, Cork Institute of Technology and University College Cork.
Chartered Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (CEng MIStructE)
Chartered Member of the Institution of Engineers of Ireland (CEng MIEI)
Member of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE)
Member of the International Society for Weigh-In-Motion (ISWIM)
Member of the International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety (IABMAS)
- highway bridge traffic loading; structural safety and reliability; structural dynamics; human-induced vibration; human-structure interaction; vehicle-bridge interaction; structural health monitoring; weigh-in-motion; footbridge vibration; random vibration; traffic modelling for bridges; probabilistic modelling; extreme value prediction; intelligent transport; vehicle to infrastructure communications.