Ha Hong Bui
- +61 3 990 52599
- Room 126, 60, Clayton Campus
- BEng, MEng, PhD
Ha Bui received his PhD degree in Civil Engineering from the School of Science and Engineering Ritsumeikan University, Japan. He then worked as a Research Fellow at the Department of Civil Engineering at Ritsumeikan University. His research focused on developing advanced numerical methods and constitutive models for large deformation and flow failure predictions of geomaterials. In 2010, he was awarded the prestigious JSPS Research Fellowship from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) and worked at Ritsumeikan University until December 2011. He joined Monash University as a full-time tenured academic staff in 2012.
Awards and honours:
- “Outstanding Reviewer for Computers and Geotechnics” journal recognised by Elsevier, 2016.
- “Departmental Award for Excellence in Teaching”, Department of Civil Engineering, 2014-2015.
- “Outstanding Reviewer for Applied Mathematical Modelling” journal recognised by Elsevier, 2014.
- “JSPS Fellowship Award for Young Scientists” from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), 2010-2012.
- “Outstanding Paper Award for Young Researcher” granted by the Japanese Geotechnical Society (JGS), 2009.
- “Best Paper Award” in the 15th International Conference of International Society for Terrain-Vehicle Systems (ISTVS), 2005.
- “Encourage Paper Award” in the Symposium on Construction Practice and Construction Machinery granted by Japan Construction Mechanization Association (JCMA), 2005.
- “Best Paper Award” in the Annual Meeting of Japanese Society for Terramechanics (JaST), 2004.
Research Funding Since Joining Monash
- 2016-2019: ARC Discovery Project (DP170103793), Liquefaction of silty soils: Micromechanics, modelling and prediction, with G.D Nguyen (Adelaide) & J. Andrade (Caltech), $277K.
- 2016-2017: ARC-LIEF (LE170100079), Bridging time/size scales in strain measurements with advanced DIC facility, with Kotooussov & Nguyen (Adelaide) et al., $276k.
- 2015-2018: ARC Discovery Project (DP160100775), A multi-scale approach to investigate desiccation cracking in clayey soils, with J. Kodikara (Monash) & M. Sanchez (Texas A&M), $344K.
- 2013-2017: ARC Linkage Project (LP130100884), Development of advanced deterioration model for the design of stabilized pavement bases, with J. Kodikara (Monash), P. Jitsangiam (Curtin) and various industry partners, $276k.
- 2013-2017: Smart Water Fund Project, An innovative integrated algorithm for cost-effective management of water pipe networks, with Kodikara, Walker & Zhu (Monash), $665k.
- 2013-2014: ARC-LIEDF (LE130100028), A national facility for in situ testing of soft soils, with Scott Sloan (Newcastle) et al., $300k.
- 2016: Monash Engineering Seed Funding, A multi-scale approach to dynamic rock fractures, $20k.
- 2015: Monash Civil Engineering, Development of a high performance computing platform for large-scale simulations of infrastructure under extreme events, $50k.
- 2015: CSIRO, Numerical simulations of heavy rainfall induced landslides using the mesh-free SPH method, with Vincent Lemiale, $45k.
- 2014: Monash Engineering Seed Funding, Micro-mechanical investigation of rock fracture and fragmentation under static loads, $20k.
- 2013: Monash Engineering Seed Funding, Modelling of fracture and damage in geomaterials using the mesh-free SPH method, $15k.
- CIV5888/CIV6888: Advanced computational method
- CIV2207: Computing and water system modelling
- ENG1021: Spatial communication in Engineering
- Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Nguyen C.T, Nguyen G.D, Das A., Bui H.H (2017). Constitutive modelling of progressive localised failure in porous sandstones under shearing at high confining pressures, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. Vol.93, pp. 179-195 (doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2017.01.014), ISI-Q1 Journal.
- Mukherjee M, G.D. Nguyen, Mir A, Bui H.H, Shen L, El-Zein A & Maggi F (2017). Capturing pressure-and rate-dependent behaviour of rocks using a new damage-plasticity model, International Journal of Impact Engineering, (In press, doi:10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2017.01.006), ISI-Q1 Journal.
- Nusit K, Jitsangiam P, Kodikara J, Bui HH & Leung GLM (2017), Advanced Characteristics of Cement-Treated Materials with respect to Strength Performance and Damage Evolution, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (ASCE), (In press, doi:10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001772), ISI-Q1 Journal
- Nguyen C.T, Nguyen G.D, Nguyen V.P, Bui H.H, Shen L (2016). A size-dependent constitutive modelling framework for localised failure analysis, Computational Mechanics, Vol.58(2),1-24 (doi: 10.1007/s00466-016-1293-z). ISI-Q1 Journal
- Nguyen CT, Nguyen CT, Bui H.H, Nguyen G.D & Fukagawa R. (2016). A new SPH based approach to simulation of granular flows using viscous damping and stress regularisation, Landslides, Vol.14(1), 69-81 (doi: 10.1007/s10346-016-0681-y), ISI-Q1 Journal
- Nguyen G.D, Nguyen C.T, Bui H.H, Nguyen V.P (2016). Constitutive modelling of compaction localisation in porous sandstones, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. Vol.83, pp. 57-71 (doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2015.12.018), ISI-Q1 Journal
- King D, Bouazza A, Gniel J, Bui H.H (2016) New insight into the compressibility and structured nature of coode island silt, Australian Geomechanics Journal, Vol.51(2), 45-62.
- Islam S, Haque A, Bui H.H (2016) One-dimensional compression behaviour of acid sulphate soils treated with alkali-activated slag, Materials, Vol.9(4), pp.289. doi:10.3390/ma9040289. ISI-Q1 Journal
- Nomeritae, Dal E, Grimaldi S, Bui H.H (2016). Explicit incompressible SPH algorithm for free-surface flow modelling: A comparison with weakly compressible schemes, Advances in Water Resources, Vol.97, pp.156-167 (doi:10.1016/j.advwatres.2016.09.008), ISI-Q1 Journal
- Gui Y, Kodikara J, Bui H.H (2016). Numerical modelling laboratory soil desiccation cracking using UDEC with a mix-mode cohesive fracture model, Engineering Geology, Vol.202, pp.14-23 (doi:10.1016/j.enggeo.2015.12.028), ISI-Q1 Journal
- Ranathunga AS, Perera MSA, Ranjith PG, Bui H.H (2016) Super-critical CO2 saturation-induced mechanical property alterations in low rank coal: An experimental study, The Journal of Supercritical Fluids, Vol.109, pp.134-140, (doi:10.1016/j.supflu.2015.11.010), ISI-Q1 Journal
- Matsuo T, Mori K, Hiraoka N, Bui H.H, Fukagawa R. (2016). Study of SPH simulation on tunnel face collapse, International Journal of GEOMATE Vol.10 (22), pp. 2077-2082, ISI Journal.
- Gui Y, Bui H.H, Kodikara J, Zhang Q.B, Zhao J & Rabczuk T (2015). Modelling the dynamic failure of brittle rocks using a hybrid continuum-discrete elopement method with a Mixed-mode cohesive fracture model, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol.87, pp.146–155. (doi:10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2015.04.010), ISI-Q1 Journal
- Gui Y, Bui H.H & Kodikara K(2015). An application of a cohesive fracture model combining compression, tension and shear in soft rocks, Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.66, pp142-157, (doi:10.1016/j.compgeo.2015.01.018) ISI-Q1 Journal
- Nusit K, Jitsangiam P, Kodikara J, Bui HH & Leung GLM (2015), Dynamic Modulus Measurement of Bound Cement-Treated Base Materials, Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol.38(3), (doi:10.1520/GTJ20140233), ISI Journal
- CT. Nguyen, Bui H.H & Fukagawa R. (2015). Failure mechanism of true 2D granular flows, Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, Vol.48(5), pp 1-8 (doi:10.1252/jcej.14we358), ISI Journal
- Yu KL, Singh RM, Bouazza A & Bui H.H. (2015). Determining thermal conductivity through numerical simulation of a heating test on a geothermal energy pile, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. Vol.33, 339-252 (doi:10.1007/s10706-015-9870-z)
- Oya A, Bui H.H, Hiraoka N, Fujimoto M. & Fukagawa R (2015). Seepage flow-stability analysis of the riverbank of Saigon river due to river water level fluctuation, International Journal of GEOMATE, Vol.8, Issue 1, pp.1212-1217, ISI Journal
- Nguyen C.T, Bui H.H, Fukagawa R (2015). Failure mechanism of two-dimensional granular columns: Numerical simulation and experiment, Vietnam Journal of Mechanics (VAST), Vol.37(4), pp.256-268 (doi:10.15625/0866-7136/37/4/5844)
- Haque A, Tang CK, Islam S, Ranjith PG & Bui H.H (2014). Biochar sequestration in lime-slag treated synthetic soils: a green approach to ground improvement, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering – ASCE, 26(12): 06014024 (doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001113), ISI Journal
- Mohadmed M, Ranjith PG, Sanjayan J & Bui H.H (2014). A primary well sealant for carbon capture and storage wells, Fuel, Vol.117, pp.354-363, ISI Journal
- Verghese SJ & Bui H.H (2013). Numerical study of plasticity-based constitutive models for soil in simulation of braced excavation, International Journal of GEOMATE, Vol.5, Issue 2, pp.672-677, ISI Journal
- Bui H.H, Kodikara J, Bouazza A, Haque A & Ranjith PG (2014). A novel computational approach for large deformation and post-failure analyses of the segmental retaining wall systems, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 38, Issue 13, pp.1321-1340. (doi.10.1002/nag.2253), ISI Journal
- Ukwattagea N.L, Ranjith P.G, Yellishetty M, Bui H.H & Xu T (2014). A laboratory-scale study of the aqueous mineral carbonation of coal fly ash for CO2 sequestration, Journal of Cleaner Production (doi.10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.03.005), ISI Journal
- Bui H.H & Fukagawa R (2013). An improved SPH method for saturated soils and its application to investigate the mechanisms of embankment failure: Case of hydrostatic pore-water pressure, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol.37, Issue 1, pp.31-50, doi: 10.1002/nag.1084, ISI Journal
- Hiraoka N, Oya A, Bui H.H & Fukagawa R (2013). Seismic slope failure modelling using mesh-free SPH method, International Journal of GEOMATE, Vol.5, Issue 1, pp.660-665, ISI Journal
- Nguyen CT, Bui H.H & R Fukagawa (2013). Two-dimensional numerical modelling of modular-block soil retaining wall collapse using mesh-free method, International Journal of GEOMATE, Vol.5, Issue 1, pp.647-652, ISI Journal
- Bui H.H, Fukagawa R, Sako K, & Wells J.C (2011). Slope stability analysis and discontinuous slope failure simulation by elasto-plastic smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH), Géotechnique, Vol. 61, Issue 7, pp.565-574 (doi:10.1680/geot.9.P.046), ISI Journal
- Morizane C, Sako K, Bui H.H, Mizuta T, Fukagawa R & Satofuka Y (2010). Development of numerical simulation method based on SPH to mitigate damages of cultural assets due to riverbank erosion, Journal of Disaster Mitigation of Cultural Heritage and Historic Cities, Vol.4, pp.99-106
- Bui H.H, Kobayashi T, Fukagawa R & Wells J.C (2009). Numerical and experimental studies of gravity effect on the mechanism of lunar excavation, Journal of Terramechanics, Vol. 46, Issue 3, pp.115-124. (doi:10.1016/j.jterra.2009.02.006)
- Murakami S, Bui H.H, Nakao H, & Izuno K (2009). SPH analysis on tsunami flow around bridge girder, Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. A1 (Structural Engineering & Earthquake Engineering (SE/EE)), Vol. 65, Issue 1, pp.914-920. (doi:10.2208/jscejseee.65.914)
- Sako K, Fukagawa R, Yasukawa I, Bui H.H & Nakaya J (2009). Results of ground survey at Kiyomizu temple slope, Journal of Disaster Mitigation of Cultural Heritage and Historic Cities, Vol.3, pp.105-110
- Bui H.H & Fukawaga R (2009). A first attempt to solve soil-water coupled problem by SPH, Japanese Terramechanics, Vol. 29, pp.33-38. (in Hard Copy) Yamashita D, Bui H.H & Fukawaga R (2009). DEM simulation of cohesive soil using capillary force models, Japanese Terramechanics, Vol. 29, pp.39-42. (in Hard Copy)
- Daizo A, Bui H.H & Fukawaga R (2009). Modified DEM interlocking force model for Regolith simulant, Japanese Terramechanics, Vol. 29, pp.29-32. (in Hard Copy)
- Bui H.H, Sako K & Fukagawa R (2008). Numerical simulation of slope failure for mitigation of rainfall induced slope disaster of an important cultural heritage, Journal of Disaster Mitigation of Cultural Heritage and Historic Cities, Vol.2, pp.111-118
- Bui H.H, Fukagawa R, Sako K & Ohno S (2008). Lagrangian mesh-free particles method (SPH) for large deformation and failure flows of geomaterial using elastic-plastic soil constitutive model, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 32, Issue 12, pp.1537-1570. (DOI: 10.1002/nag.688; Ranked 1st in the top 5 most read articles of the journal in 2008)
- Bui H.H & Fukagawa R (2008). Elasto-plastic large deformation analysis of geomaterial using SPH, Japanese Terramechanics, Vol. 28, pp.177-182. (in Hard Copy)
- Daizo A, Bui H.H & Fukagawa R (2008). Development of DEM simulation for lunar soil, Japanese Terramechanics, Vol. 28, pp.194-198. (in Hard Copy)
- Bui H.H, Sako K & Fukagawa R (2007). Numerical simulation of soil-water interaction using smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) Method, Journal of Terramechanics, Vol. 45, Issue 5, pp.339-346. DOI: 10.1016/j.jterra.2007.10.003.(TOP 10 hottest articles of the journal) Link
- Bui H.H & Fukagawa R (2005). Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) for Soil Mechanics: Treatment of frictional boundary condition, Japanese Terramechanics, Vol. 25, pp.50-57. (in Hard Copy)
- Bui H.H, Kobayashi T, Tamoi K. & Fukagawa R (2004). DEM simulation for deformation mechanism of soil cutting, Japanese Terramechanics, Vol. 24, pp. 141-146. (in Hard Copy)
- Book Chapters
- Kodikara J, Islam T, Wijesooriya S, Bui H.H, Burman B.C (2014). On controlling influence of the line of optimums on the compacted clayey soil behavior, Unsaturated Soils: Research & Applications, N. Khalili , A. R. Russell , and A. Khoshghalb, CRC Press 2014, pp.219–225, Print ISBN: 978-1-138-00150-3, eBook ISBN: 978-1-315-74958-7, DOI: 10.1201/b17034-29.
- Weerasinghe D, Kodikara J, Bui H.H (2015). Numerical modelling of swelling/shringkage behaviour of unsaturated soils for buried pipe stress analysis, Unsaturated Soil Mechanics - from Theory to Practice, Proceedings of the 6th Asia Pacific Conference on Unsaturated Soils (Guilin, China, 23-26 October 2015), Edited by Zhenghan Chen, Changfu Wei, Dean Sun, and Xongfu Xu, CRC Press 2015, pp.615–620, Print ISBN: 978-1-138-02921-7, eBook ISBN: 978-1-315-64334-2, DOI: 10.1201/b19248-102.
- Bui H.H, Fukagawa R and Sako K. (2009). Numerical simulation of progressive/multi-stages slope failure due to the increase in groundwater table by SPH, Prediction and Simulation Methods for Geohazard Mitigation, Chapter 18, Edited by Fusao Oka , Sayuri Kimoto , and Akira Murakami, pp.121-126, CRC Press 2009, ISBN: 978-0-415-80482-0, eBook ISBN: 978-0-203-87104-1, DOI: 10.1201/NOE0415804820.ch18
- Asian-Pacific Journal of Computational Engineering (APJCE)
Ha Bui has supervised 17 PhD students (2 already awarded, 15 current). In addition, he also supervised two postdoctoral research fellows, Yilin Gui (2013-2014) and Chi Nguyen (2015-2016) and a number of Master students during his time in Japan.
Reviewer for Geotechnique, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Computers and Geotechnics, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Soils and Foundations, International Journal of Geomechanics, Acta Geotechnica, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Geotechnique Letter, Engineering Geology, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, International Journal of Impact Engineering, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Advanced Powder Technology, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Computer and Fluids, Advances in Water Resource.
Member of International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE).
Member of International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG)
Member of International Society for Terrain-Vehicle System (ISTVS).
- Computational mechanics, constitutive modelling of geomaterials, large deformation and failure predictions, soil cracking modelling, fracture and damage, slope stability and landslide, multiphase flow in porous media, soil-structure interactions, mesh-free approaches for computational geomechanics, granular flows, lunar soil mechanics, free-surface fluid flows, two-phase flow modelling.