Department of Civil Engineering
- +61 3 990 27143
- Room 147, Building 60, Clayton Campus
Dr Yellishetty possesses two decades of promising research and altruistic academic career in Australia, USA and India which enabled me to develop a broad skills base in all aspects of the mining cycle. He has been involved with mining education for nearly two decades and conducted a fair amount of research in this discipline. His research and academic work experience at Monash University and CSIRO, Australia, Yale University, USA and IIT Bombay, India have provided him with the opportunity to undertake high quality research work and to contribute significantly to mining engineering discipline and publish widely in reputed high impact journals.
His teaching philosophy combines a solid theoretical background backed by real-world examples, through integration of field-based, project-based and hands-on learning experiences for his students. He pioneered the use of a variety of pedagogical practices, such developing industry-centric curriculum and industry-based learning to achieve effective teaching-learning outcomes that not only contributed to the strong student engagement, but have prepared the students for employment within the Australian and the global mining industry.
His teaching and research (both discipline specific and pedagogical) are mutually informing, complementary and inseparable. He strongly believe that excellence in teaching involves constantly re-evaluating what and how he am teaching, and continually striving for the most creative and effective methods to maximize student learning and student success.
- BOOKS EDITED
- Singhal, R, Topal, E., Fytas, K., and Yellishetty M. (Eds) Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on Mine Planning & Equipment Selection [MPES 2012], November 28-30, 2012, New Delhi, India. ISSN 21673322.
- Subhash, K. N., M. Yellishetty and E. H Reddy (Eds) (2006). Proceedings of the National workshop on Occupational health, safety & environmental issues in industries. Goa Chamber of Commerce & Industry and and Institution of Engineers (India), Goa, India.
- INVITED BOOK CHAPTERS
- Yellishetty, M., N. Haque, A. Debruil (2012). Issues and Challenges in Life Cycle Assessment in the Minerals and Metals Sector: A Chance to Improve Raw Materials Efficiency. R. Sinding-Larsen and F.-W. Wellmer (eds.), Non-Renewable Resource Issues: Geoscientific and Societal Challenges, International Year of Planet Earth, Springer Dordrecht Heidelberg London New York (Pub).
- Yellishetty, M., P. G. Ranjith A. Tharumarajah (2009). Application of best practice environmental management systems: a sustainable solution for the mining industry. In: T. N. Singh (Ed) Recent Advancements in Disaster Analysis, JBC Publishers, New Delhi.
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (PEER REVIEWED)
- M Khandelwal, D J Armaghani, R S Faradonbeh, *M Yellishetty*, M Z A Majid and M Monjezi (2016). Classification and regression tree technique in estimating peak particle velocity caused by blasting. *Engineering with Computers *(in press).
- G M Mudd, M Yellishetty, B K Reck, T E Graedel (2014). Quantifying the Recoverable Resources of Companion Metals: A Preliminary Study of Australia. Resources.
- K R Chandar, C Hegde, M Yellishetty and B G Kumar (2014). Classification of Stability of Highwall During Highwall Mining: A Statistical Adaptive Learning Approach. Geotech Geol Eng.
- Yellishetty, M. and G M Mudd (2014). Substance flow analysis of steel and the sustainability of iron ore resources. Special issue of Journal of Cleaner Production ( (in press).
- Ukwattage N, P G Ranjith, M Yellishetty (2014). A laboratory scale study of the aqueous mineral carbonation of coal fly ash for CO2 sequestration, Journal of Cleaner Production (in press).
- Yellishetty, M., G M Mudd, D. Giurco, L. Mason and S. Mohr (2013). Iron ore in Australia too much or too hard? Journal of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (The AusIMM Bulletin), 3, pp. 42-47.
- Yellishetty, M., G M Mudd and R. Shukla (2013). Prediction and evaluation of soil erosion due to water from overburden dumps from opencast mines of Goa and their impacts on the environment. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, 27:2, 88-102.
- Shukla R., P G Ranjith, A Haque, X Choi, M Yellishetty, L. Hong (2012). Investigating mechanical behaviour of reservoir rock under brine saturation: Geological sequestration of carbon dioxide in saline aquifers. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering Journal (in Press).
- Yellishetty, M., G M Mudd, P G Ranjith and A Tharumarajah (2011). Environmental life-cycle comparisons of steel production & recycling: sustainability issues, problems and prospects. Environmental Science & Policy, 14, 650 663.
- Yellishetty, M., G Mudd and P G Ranjith (2011). The steel industry, abiotic resource depletion and life cycle assessment: A real or perceived issue? Journal of Cleaner Production, 19, 78-90.
- Yellishetty, M., and W Darlington (2011). The effects of monsoonal rainfall on waste dump stability and respective geo-environmental issues. Environmental Earth Sciences, 63, 11691 S177.
- Yellishetty, M., A Tharumarajah and P G Ranjith (2010). Iron ore and steel production trends and material flows in the world: Is this really sustainable? Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 54, 1084 S1094.
- M. Khandelwal, D L Kumar and M Yellishetty (2010). Application of soft computing to predict blast-induced ground vibration. Engineering with Computers, 27, 117 S125.
- Yellishetty, M., P G Ranjith, A Tharumarajah and S Bhonsale (2009).Life cycle assessment in the minerals and metals sector: a critical review of selected issues and challenges. Int. J. of Life Cycle Assessment, 14, 257 S267.
- Yellishetty, M., P G Ranjith and D L Kumar (2009)."Metal concentrations and metal mobility in unsaturated mine wastes in mining areas of Goa, India". Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 53, 379 S385.
- Yellishetty, M., V Karpe, E H Reddy, K N Subhash and P G Ranjith (2008). Reuse of iron ore mineral wastes in civil engineering constructions: A case study". Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 58 (11), 1283-1289.
- Yellishetty, M., V Karpe, E H Reddy, K N Subhash and P G Ranjith (2008). Mineral wastes as alternative and sustainable construction material, Canadian Mining Journal, 129 (2), 7.
- RESEARCH CONSULTANCY REPORTS & OTHERS
- Yellishetty, M. (2009). Technical consulting report entitled Data on material flows of the world iron ore, steel and the iron and steel inventory for CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, Highett, Victoria, Australia.
- Yellishetty, M., G M Mudd, L Mason, D Giurco, S Mohr and T Prior (2011). A critical assessment of Australian and Global iron ore resources: production trends, sustainability issues and future prospects. Prepared by Monash University and UTS for CSIRO Minerals Futures Collaboration Cluster (April 2011).
- Yellishetty, M., G M Mudd (2011). The Boom: Iron ore and Australia. The Conversation.
- CONFERENCE PAPERS
- K Svobodova, J Vojar, M Yellishetty, P Sklenicka (2016). Public knowledge of mining: the effect of sociodemographic characteristics and experience of mining operations. Submitted to 16th International Symposium on Environmental Issues and Waste Management in Energy and Mineral Production, October 5-7, 2016, Istanbul, TURKEY.
- T. Gupta, M. Yellishetty, and T.N. Singh (2015). Optimization of ash content in overburden dumps: a numerical approach. Proceedings of MPES 2015 Smart Innovation in Mining, The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
- Yellishetty, M., V Wong, M Taylor, J Li, B Panther (2014). Forming an artificial soil from waste materials for mine site rehabilitation. Presented to European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2014, Vienna | Austria, 27 April 02 May, 2014.
- Yellishetty, M., V Wong, M Taylor, J Li (2014). Forming an artificial soil from waste materials for mine site rehabilitation. V N L Wong (Ed), in proceedings of Third Australian Regolith Geoscientists Association Conference, Bunbury, WA, 6-7th February 2014, pp. 66-68.
- Yellishetty, M., J Li, and V Wong (2013). Turning mine sites greener through industrial symbiosis practices: An innovative way of creating artificial soils from waste products for mine rehabilitation a case study. T Ren & J Xu (Eds), In proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Green Mining (ISGM), November 24 - 26 2013, the University of Wollongong, pp. 392-397.
- Taylor, M., Yellishetty, M. and B C Panther (2013). Geotechnical and hydrogeological evaluation of artificial soils to remediate acid mine drainage and improve mine rehabitation - an Australian case study. C Drebenstedt and R Singhal (Eds) Mine Planning and Equipment Selection: Proceedings of the 22nd MPES Conference, Dresden, Germany, 14th-19th October 2013. 2, pp. 855-868.
- Yellishetty, M.,(2013).Abiotic resource depletion and life cycle assessment: where we go from here?, in: Mancini, L., De Camillis, C., Pennington, D. (eds.) 2013 Security of supply and scarcity of raw materials. Towards a methodological framework for sustainability assessment. European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Institute for Environment and Sustainability, Publications Office of the European Union, Luxemburg, pp. 35-36.
- Yellishetty, M., G M Mudd, L Mason, D Giurco, S Mohr and T Prior (2012). A critical assessment of Australian and Global iron ore resources: production trends, sustainability issues and future prospects. Prepared by Monash University and UTS for CSIRO Minerals Futures Collaboration Cluste.
- Yellishetty, M., G M Mudd, L Mason, D Giurco, S Mohr and T Prior (2012). Assessment of Australian iron ore resources: production trends, sustainability issues and future prospects, accepted for presentation at 21st International symposium on mine planning and equipment selection, New Delhi, India.
- Yellishetty, M. (2009). Technical consulting report entitled ‘Data on material flows of the world iron ore, steel and the iron and steel inventory’ for CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, Highett, Victoria, Australia.
- Yellishetty, M., P G Ranjith A Tharumarajah, M Patil and E H Reddy (2008). Best practice environmental management systems in mining industry: a case study, Sesa Goa, India, Proceedings of 14th annual Int. Sustainable Development Research Conference.
- Yellishetty, M., P G Ranjith, A Tharumarajah (2008). Achieving sustainable development: a material stewardship approach in mineral industries. Submitted to the 3rd International symposium on environment, 22-25 May 2008, Athens, Greece.
- Yellishetty, M., S Kulkarni, D L Kumar and K N Subhash (2005). Economic use of mine wastes: A case study. Presented in the national seminar on Indian mining industry: Destination 2020, organized by Institution of Engineers (India), Nagpur Center on 1-2 December 2005, pp. 145-149.
- Yellishetty, M., D L Kumar, H K Bhuptawat and K N Subhash (2005). Metal leaching and acid mine drainage: A long-term threat to mine environment. Presented at the International symposium (AIMM, 2005), Indian Institute of Technology-Kharagpur, Nov., 30 to December 3, 2005, pp. 613-618.
- Yellishetty, M., H K Bhuptawat, B M Chodankar, D L Kumar and K N Subhash (2004). Soil erosion prediction, quantification, and mitigation from mine dumps. Proceedings of the international seminar on technology update in mining and mineral industries, IISc, Bangalore, from 16-17 October, 2004.
- Yellishetty, M., E H Reddy, D L Kumar and K N Subhash (2004). Technology options available for remediation of acid mine drainage Proceedings of the VI international conference on clean technologies for the mining industry. Concepcion, Chile, April 18-21, 2004.
- Yellishetty, M. and S R Asolekar (2004). Technology options available for overburden management of iron ore mines of Goa. Proceedings of the 8th international symposium on environmental issues and waste management in energy and mineral industry (SWEMP 2004), pp. 197-201.
- Yellishetty, M. and S R Asolekar (2004). Environmental significance of mine waste recycling. Paper presented at conference on technology and management for sustainable exploration of minerals and natural resources (TAMSEN), KHARAGPUR, 5-7 February 2004. 16.
- Yellishetty, M., E H Reddy and D L Kumar (2003). Mining and sustainable development-the Indian perspective. Proceedings of mining and sustainable development conference, implementing sustainable development in mining: from talk to action, 5 November 2003, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Editor of Open Journal of Energy Efficiency
- International Organising Committee Member of 21st, 22nd and 23rd and 24th International Symposiums on Mine Planning & Equipment Selection held at New Delhi, India, Dresden, Germany, Johannesburg, South Africa, and Istanbul, Turkey.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Engineering and Technology Education Conference (IETEC 2011), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Technical Committee, International Conference on Geo-mechanics, Geo-energy and Geo-resources, 28-29 September, 2016
- Member of Academic Committee of the 2nd International Symposium on Mine Safety Science and Engineering, held in Beijing (China), 2013.
Postdoctoral Research Fellows:
1.Dr Kamila Svobodova
2.Dr Sumit K Gautam
PhD Students:1. Ms Likhitha Mundodi
2. Mr Tushar Gupta
3. Mr Shashibhushan Biliangadi
4. Mr Ye (Eric) Yuan
- Society of Mining Professors
- Australasian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy (CP)
- Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
- Mining Engineers Association of India
- He has been recognized as one of the leading experts in the area of ‘sustainable mineral resources’. His discipline research focuses around the following areas:
- Mine rehabilitation and closure
- Sustainability frameworks/tools and their application mining industry. Industrial ecology, life cycle thinking, substance flow and material flow analysis
- Resources and environmental geotechnical engineering