Department of Civil Engineering
Lecturer (Resource Engineering)
- +61 3 9905 4385
- Room 149, Building 60, Clayton Campus
- B.Eng.(Hon.), M.Eng., PhD
- Dr Zhang received his Bachelor degree from Southwest Jiaotong University, Master degree from Shandong University and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, and PhD from Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL). Prior to joining Monash, he was a postdoctoral researcher at EPFL and Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge.
- MNE3010 - Rock Mechanics
- MNE3040 - Surface Mining Systems
- Google Scholar
- Q.B. Zhang et al., Plate Impact Experiments and Shock Response of Rock Materials to 20 GPa. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences, in Preparation.
- Q.B. Zhang, Dynamic Intensity Factor (DIF) and Failure Criteria for Rock Materials. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, in Preparation.
- Q.B. Zhang, High-speed imaging in Geomaterials. International Journal of Impact Engineering, in Preparation.
- Q.B. Zhang et al., On the Dynamic Tensile and Shear Strength of Shock Loaded Rock Materials. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Submitted.
- Q.B. Zhang et al., Shock Compression of Rock Materials over the Stress Range of 3-18 GPa. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Submitted.
- Q.B. Zhang et al., Review on Induced Seismicity in Deep Earth Energy and Resources Extraction. Geomechanics and Geophysics for Geo-Energy and Geo-Resources, Submitted.
- K. Du, X. Li and Q.B. Zhang, Slabbing and Rockburst Induced by True-triaxial Unloading and Dynamic Disturbance: An Experimental Study. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Submitted.
- Q.B. Zhang L. He and W.S. Zhu, On Application of Displacement Measurement Techniques and Numerical Verification in 3D Geomechancial Model Tests of an Underground Cavern Group . Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Submitted.
- C.Y. Liang, Q.B. Zhang, X. Li and P. Xin, The Effect of Specimen Size and Strain Rate on Uniaxial Compressive Behaviour of Rock Material. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, online 10.1007/s10064-015-0811-0 .
- P.L.P. Wasantha, P.G. Ranjith, Q.B. Zhang, T. Xu, Do joint geometrical properties influence the fracturing behaviour of jointed rock? An investigation through joint orientation, Geomechanics and Geophysics for Geo-Energy and Geo-Resources, 2015, 1:3-14.
- Y.L. Gui, H.H. Bui, J. Kodikara, Q.B. Zhang, J. Zhao, T. Rabczuk, Modelling the dynamic failure of brittle rocks using a hybrid continuum-discrete element method with a mixed-mode cohesive fracture model. International Journal of Impact Engineering, in press. doi: 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2015.04.010
- L. He, Q.B. Zhang, Numerical investigation of arching mechanism to underground excavation in jointed rock mass. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 2015,50:54-67.
- Q.B. Zhang and J. Zhao, Quasi-static and Dynamic Fracture Behaviour of Rock Materials: Phenomena and Mechanisms. International Journal of Fracture, 2014, 189(1):1-32.
- Q.B. Zhang and J. Zhao, A Review of Dynamic Experimental Techniques and Mechanical Behaviour of Rock Materials. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 2014, 47(4):1411-1478.
- Q.B. Zhang and J. Zhao, Determination of Mechanical Properties and Full-field Strain Measurements of Rock Material under Dynamic Loads, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. 2013, 60:423-439.
- Q.B. Zhang and J. Zhao, Effect of Loading Rate on Fracture Toughness and Failure Micromechanisms in Marble. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 2013, 102:288-309.
- Q.B. Zhang, W.S. Zhu, Y. Li, L.F. Sun and L. Zhang, Design and Application of Mini Multi-point Extensometer in the Geomechanical Model Test of Underground Cavern Group. Rock and Soil Mechanics, 2011, 32(10):3342-3347.
- Q.B. Zhang, W.S. Zhu, L.F. Sun and L. Zhang, Application of Displacement Measurement Methods in Geomechanical Model Testing of an Underground Cavern Group for Hydropower Station, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 2010, 41(9):1087-1093.
- Q.B. Zhang and R.H.C. Wong, Experimental Study on the Movement of the Reverse Fault Causing Surface Rupture on Wet Sand Deposit, Journal of Sichuan University: Engineering Science Edition, 2011, 13(4):13-20.
- Q.B. Zhang, W.S. Zhu, L.F. Sun and W.H. Zheng, Study on Application of Photogrammetric Technique in 3D Physical Model Test of Cavern Complex. Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 2010, 32(3):447-452.
- W.S. Zhu, Q.B. Zhang, H.H. Zhu, Y. Li, J.-H. Yin, S.C. Li, L.F. Sun and L. Zhang, Large-scale Geomechanical Model Testing of an Underground Cavern Group in a True Three-dimensional (3-D) Stress State. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 2010, 47(9): 935-946.
- W.S. Zhu, Q.B. Zhang, Y. Li, L.F. Sun, L. Zhang and W.H. Zheng, Development of Large-scale Geomechanical Model Test System under True 3D Loading Condition and Its Application. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, 2010, 29(1):1-7.
- R.H.C. Wong, Q.B. Zhang and K.H.T. Cheung, Geomechanical Model Testing of Surface Rupture and Bridge Damage Produced by Discontinuous Reverse Faults, Journal of Sichuan University: Engineering Science Edition, 2010, 42(5):58-67.
- W.S. Zhu, X.J. Li, Q.B. Zhang, W.H. Zheng, X.L. Xin, A.H. Sun and S.C. Li, A Study on Sidewall Displacement Prediction and Stability Evaluations for Large Underground Power Station Caverns. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. 2010, 47(7): 1055-1062.
- L.F. Sun, W.S. Zhu and Q.B. Zhang, Study on the Monitoring on the Fracture Zones of the Side Wall of the Main Power House in the Underground Cavern Groups. Chinese Journal of Underground Space and Engineering, 2010, 6(3):543-547.
- W.S. Zhu, Y. Li, S.C. Li, S.G. Wang and Q.B. Zhang, Quasi-three-dimensional Physical Model Tests on a Cavern Complex under High in-situ Stresses. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 2011, 48(2), 199-209.
- Editorial Board: Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology
Member, International Society for Rock Mechanics (ISRM)
Member, International Association of Engineering Geology and the Environment
Member, Australian Geomechanics Society (AGS)
Member, Swiss Geotechnic (GS)
- Mechanical behavior of rock at high strain rate using split Hopkinson bar; Mechanical behavior of rock at high pressure using plate impact facility; Field monitoring, numerical simulations and geomechanical model tests of underground caverns; Scientific drilling and modeling of earthquake; Induced seismicity in deep earth energy and resources extraction; Development of Digital Image Correlation (DIC) method