Ranjith Pathegama Gamage
- +61 3 990 54982
- Room 140, 60, Clayton Campus
Professor Ranjith from the Department of Civil Engineering has been awarded the ARC Future Fellowship (2009) for his research work to combat climate change.
Prof.Ranjith, P.G. joined the Monash university group in 2003. Before joining to Monash, he worked as an Assistant Professor in Geotechnical and Rock Engineering at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. His PhD was on the "Stress-strain and permeability characteristics of Two-phase (water+gas) flow through fractured rocks".
His areas of research include carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration in sedementary basins, modeling of multiphase flow through rocks, gas outbursts and groundwater inundation in mines and tunnels, rock fracture mechanism and tunneling in soft and hard ground. He is actively involved in experimental and numerical modeling in fundamental work as well as applied research in rock mechanics.
- 2013 to Present: Professor, ARC Future Research Fellow, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Australia.
- 2010 to Present: Associate Professor - 2009 to Present: ARC Future Research Fellow, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Australia.
- 2006 to Present: Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Australia.
- 2003 to 2005: Lecturer, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Australia.
- 2001 to 2003 : Assistant Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Eng., Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- 2000 to 2001: Research Fellow, Dept. of Civil Engineering, University of Wollongong, Australia.
- 1997 to 2000: PhD student, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Wollongong University
- 1996 to 1997: Lecturer, Dept. of Civil Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
- J1.Jasinge D, Ranjith PG and Choi SK (2010). Effects of Effective Stress Changes on Permeability of Latrobe Valley Brown Coal, Fuel (accepted, August 2010).
- J2.Perera S, Ranjith PG, Choi SK(2010) Numerical Simulation of Gas Flow through Porous Sandstone, Fuel (accepted August 2010).
- J3.Shukla R; Ranjith PG, Choi SK, Haque A, (2010), Study of Caprock integrity in Geo-sequestration of Carbon Dioxide. International Journal of Geomechanics, (doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0000015)
- J4.Yasar E., Ranjith PG, Perera MSA (2010). Physico-mechanical behaviour of southeastern Melbourne sedimentary rocks. Int. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science, In Press (doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2009.12.002)
- J5.Scott B, Ranjtih PG, Choi SK and Khandelwal M (2010). A review on existing opencast coal mining methods within Australia. Journal of Mining Science Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 280-297.
- J6.Stanley B, Singh GJ, Haque A, Ranjith PG and A. Bouazza (2010). Lime optimisation in lime-slag treated soft Coode Island Silt in Melbourne, Australian Geomechanics, Vol.45, pp. 65-76.
- J7.Scott B, Ranjtih PG, Choi SK and Khandelwal M (2010). A review on existing opencast coal mining methods within Australia. Journal of Mining Science Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 73-88 (in Russian)
- J8.A. M. Kilic, E Yasar, Erdogan Y and Ranjith PG (2009) Influence of rock mass properties on blasting efficiency, Scientific Research and Essay Vol.4 (10), (Accepted August 2009), http://www.academicjournals.org/SRE,
- J9.Scott B, Ranjtih PG, Choi SK and Khandelwal M (2009). Geological and Geotechnical Aspects of Underground Coal Mining Methods within Australia, Environmental Geology, DOI: 10.1007/s12665-009-0239-6.
- J10.Kristinof R, Ranjith PG, and Choi SK (2009). Finite Element Simulation of Fluid Flow in fractured rock media, Journal of Environmental Earth Sciences, DOI: 10.1007/s12665-009-0214-2.
- J11.Yellishetty M, Ranjith PG and D. Lalit Kumar (2009) Metal concentrations and metal mobility in unsaturated mine wastes in mining areas of Goa, India Resources, Conservation and Recycling 53(7), 379385.
- J12.Yellishetty M, Ranjith PG, A. Tharumarajah, and Sheshanath Bhosale (2009). Life Cycle Assessment in the Minerals and Metals Sector: A Critical Review of Selected Issues and Challenges, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment (IF=1.607), DOI:10.1007/s11367-009-0060-1
- J13.Ranjith PG (2009). An experimental study on single and two phase fluid flow through Fractured Granite Specimens, Environmental Geology, 10.1007/s12665-009-0124-3, Volume 59, Number 7, Pages 1389-1395.
- J14.Jasinge D, Ranjith PG, Choi SK, Kodikara J, Arthur M and Li H (2009). Mechanical Properties of Reconstituted Australian Black Coal. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 135, Issue7, pp. 980-985
- J15.Wang SH, Lee CI, Ranjith PG, and Tang CA (2009).Modeling the Effects of Heterogeneity and Anisotropy on the Excavation Damaged=Disturbed Zone (EDZ), Rock Mech Rock Engng 42: 229258, DOI 10.1007/s00603-009-0177-3.
- J16.Quy NM, Ranjith PG, Choi SK, Giao PH, Jasinge, D (2009). Analytical Assessment of Horizontal Well Efficiency with Reference to Improved Oil Recovery of the South-East Dragon Oil Field Southern Offshore of Vietnam, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Volume 66, Issues 3-4, June 2009, Pages 75-82.
- J17.Bouazza, M, Gates W and Ranjith PG (2009). Hydraulic conductivity of biopolymer treated silty sand, Goetehnique 59, No. 1, 7172 (doi: 10.1680/geot.2007.00137)
- J18.Ranjith PG, Choi SK (2008). Mechanical properties of Australian coal due to the adsorption of Carbon dioxide, Canadian Mining Journal, page 7, June Edition.
- J19.Li H and Ranjith PG (2008). Three-Dimensional Finite Element Method For Napl Contaminant And Subsurface Water Two-Phase Flows, Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, vol.27 (12), pp. 2509-25 17.
- J20.Yellishetty M, Vanda Karpe, E. H. Reddy, K. N. Subhash and Ranjith PG (2008). Mineral wastes as alternative, sustainable construction material. Canadian Mining Journal, page 7, February edition.
- J21.Yellishetty M, Vanda Karpe, E. H. Reddy, K. N. Subhash and Ranjith PG (2008). Mineral Wastes as Alternative and Sustainable Construction Material: A Case Study, Resources, Conservation & Recycling, doi:10.1016/j.resconrec.2008.07.007, Volume 52, Issue 11, Pages 1283-1289 (IF=1.085).
- J22.Ranjith PG, Jasinge D, Song JY and Choi SK (2008). A study of the effect of strain rate and moisture content on mechanical properties of concrete: Use of acoustic emission, Mechanics of Materials Journal, Vol 40/6 pp 453-469, 10.1016/j.mechmat.2007.1 1.002 (IF= 2.106)
- J23.Yaral O, Yaar E, Bacak G, Ranjith PG (2008). A study of rock abrasivity and tool wear in Coal Measures. International Journal of Coal Geology 74, 53 66.
- J24.Singh SP, Tripathy, DP and Ranjith PG (2008). Performance evaluation of cement stabilised flyash-gbfs mixes as a highway construction material, Waste Management, doi:10.1016/j.wasman.2007.09.017.
- Refereed Conferences
- 1.Perera MSA, Ranjith PG, Choi SK ,A. Bouazza , J. Kodikara (2010). A Parametric Study of Effect Of Gas Injecting Pressure, Coal Bed Temperature,Injecting Gas Composition And Production Well Operation On CO2 Sequestration Process In Coal, GeoHunan International Conference II, China (Final paper submitted)
- 2.W Liyanage, and Ranjith PG (2010). Effects of Joints on the Strength of Rocklike Brittle Material, GeoHunan International Conference II, China (Final paper submitted)
- 3.De Silava N, Ranjith PG, Kodikara J (2010). A study for super critical CO2 storage capacity estimation for coal, GeoHunan International Conference II, China (Final paper submitted)
- 4.Chong WL, A. Haque A, Ranjith PG & Shahinuzzaman A (2010). 3DEC Modelling of Effect of Joints on Lateral Capacity of Socketed Pile in Laboratory Condition. Melbourne (Under review).
- 5.Chong, W.L., Haque, A., Ranjith, PG. & Shahinuzzaman, A (2009). Numerical Modelling of Laboratory Behaviour of Single Laterally Loaded Piles Socketed into Jointed Rocks. Proceedings of 9th International Conference of Analysis of Discontinuous Deformation, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore; 413-420
- 6.W. L. Chong A. Haque P. G. Ranjith A. Shahinuzzaman (2008) Lateral Load Capacity of Single Piles Socketed into Jointed Rocks A Review. 1st Southern hemisphere international rock mechanics symposium, pp297-310.
- 7.W. Darlington, PG. Ranjith, X. Choi, J and Kodikara, (2008). The AE response of intact and jointed quartzite under uniaxial compression. 1st Southern hemisphere international rock mechanics symposium, pp533-542.
- 8.Jasinge D, Ranjith PG, Choi SK and Kodikara J (2008).Effect of Carbon Dioxide Injection on the Mechanical Properties of Synthetic Brown Coal, 1st Southern hemisphere international rock mechanics symposium, pp:301-308
- 9.Y. Mohan, P. G. Ranjith and A. Tharumarajah (2008). Achieving Sustainable Development: A Material Stewardship Approach in Mineral Industries, 3rd INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ENVIRONMENT 22-25 May 2008, Athens, Greece (published)
- 10.Yellishetty M, P. G. Ranjith, A. Tharumarajah, Mahesh K. Patil and E. H. Reddy(2008). Best Practice Environmental Management Systems in Mining Industry: A Case Study, Sesa Goa, India; 14th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference, September 21-23, 2008, New Delhi, pp. 390-396 (in CD).
- 11.Shukla, R, Ranjith, PG, van Ruth P, Choi SK and Haque A (2008). Some aspects of Caprock Failure in Geo-sequestration of Carbon Dioxide, The 12th International Conference of International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG), pp 2197-2203.
- 12.Li H, Ranjith PG (2008). Three-dimensional Finite Element Method for NAPL (Non-Aqueous Phase Liquid) Contaminant and Subsurface Water Two-phase Flows, The 12th International Conference of International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG) pp. 2587-2593.
- Working group member ITA (International Tunnelling Association) Environmental Commission in Underground Activities- Represented Singapore (2002 to 2003).
- Invited Judging member of CASE EARTH AWARD for Victoria, Australia
- Shale Gas: Stimulation methodologies for enhancement of recoveries
- Research into Geosequestration of Carbon Dioxide (CO2), including geomechanical behaviour due to the stored supercritical CO2, Formation and swelling behaviour of rock media, Migration of CO2 due to change in insitu stresses.
- Activation of faults due to the injection of high fluid pressures
- Deep Geothermal works
- Slope Stability of large deep, open cut mines
- Stability of wellbore analysis
- Underground longwall mining
- Enhanced coal bed methane recovery, ECBM
- Hydro-fracturing and other simulation methods for depleted and tight reservoirs
- Two-phase and multiphase flow in fractured rock media
- Coupled Hydro-mechanical behaviour of fractured and porous rocks
- Gas outbursts and groundwater inundation in mines
- Rock physics under high pressure conditions
- Contaminant transport through rock
- Storage of chemical/nuclear waste in underground caverns
- Characterization of weathered rocks
- Tunneling in soft and hard ground