- +61 3 990 58902
- Room 116, 36, Clayton Campus
- BSc, MEng, PhD
2014 ROCHA Medal for the world's best PhD thesis award in Rock Mechanics from ISRM
2013 Mollie Holman Doctoral Medal from the Monash University
2013 Ken Hunt Award from the Engineering faculty of the Monash University
2013 Civil Engineering Department Best Thesis Award
2013 Discovery Early Career Research Award (DECRA) from Australian Research Council (ARC)
2011 Monash University Post Graduate Student Publication Award (PPA)
2011 Monash University, Civil Engineering Department Publication Award
2008 Monash Graduate Scholarship (MGS) and Faculty of Engineering Postgraduate Research Scholarship (FEIPRS)
2008 Saitama University Presidential Award, Saitama University, Japan
2007 Outstanding Student Paper award in AGU Fall meeting, USA
2006 Asian Development Bank (ADB) scholarship for Master of Engineering study at Saitama University, Japan
2002 A.Thurairajah Award for Geotechnics, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
2002 Academic Excellence Award, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- Refereed Journal Articles
- 1.Rathnaweera, T.D., Ranjith, P.G., and M.S.A. Perera, 2013, Salinity-dependent strength and stress-strain characteristics of reservoir rocks in deep saline aquifers: An experimental study, Fuel, DOI.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2013.11.033 (published December 2013).
- 2.Ranjith, P.G., Perera, M.S.A., Perera, W.K.G., Wu, B. and S.K. Choi, 2013, Effective parameters for sand production in unconsolidated formations: An experimental study, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol.105, pp.3442.
- 3.Perera, M.S.A., and P.G. Ranjith, 2013, Effects of gaseous and super-critical carbon dioxide saturation on the mechanical properties of bituminous coal from the southern sydney basin, Applied Energy, vol., 110, pp. 73-81.
- 4.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., and S.K. Choi, 2013, Coal cleat permeability for gas movement under triaxial, non-zero lateral strain condition: A theoretical and experimental study, Fuel, vol. 109, pp. 389-399.
- 5.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., and A. Bouazza, 2013, A parametric study of coal mass and cap rock behaviour and carbon dioxide flow during and after carbon dioxide injection, Fuel, vol 106, pp. 129-138.
- 6.Ranjith, P.G, Perera, M.S.A., and E. Khan, 2013, A study of safe CO2 storage capacity in saline aquifers: a numerical study, International Journal of Energy Research, vol 37, issue 3, pp. 189-199.
- 7.Perera, M.S.A., and P.G. Ranjith, 2012, Carbon dioxide sequestration effects on coal's hydro-mechanical properties: A review, International Journal of Energy Research, vol 36, issue 10, pp. 1015-1031.
- 8.Ranjith, P.G., and M.S.A. Perera, 2012, Effects of cleat performance on strength reduction of coal in CO2 sequestration, Energy, vol 45, issue 1, pp. 1069-1075.
- 9.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., Airey, D.W., and P. Weniger, 2012, Estimation of gas adsorption capacity in coal: A review and an analytical study, International Journal of Coal Preparation and Utilization, vol 32, issue 1, pp. 25-55.
- 10.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., and D.W. Airey, 2012, Investigation of temperature effect on permeability of naturally fractured black coal for carbon dioxide movement: An experimental and numerical study, Fuel, vol 94, issue 1, pp. 596-605.
- 11.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Viete, D.R., and S.K. Choi, 2012, Parameters influencing the flow performance of natural cleat systems in deep coal seams experiencing carbon dioxide injection and sequestration, International Journal of Coal Geology, vol 104, pp. 96-106.
- 12.Perera, M.S.A., Jasinge, D., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., and J. Fernando, 2012, Rebuttal to "quantities relevant to the effectiveness of carbon sequestration in coal beds", Energy, vol 46, issue 1, pp. 686-687.
- 13.*Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Viete, D.R., and S.K., Choi, 2012, The effects of injection and production well arrangement on carbon dioxide sequestration in deep, unmineable coal seams: A numerical study, International Journal of Coal Preparation and Utilization, vol 32, issue 5, pp. 211-224.
- 14.Ranjith, P.G., Viete, D.R., Chen, B.J., and M.S.A. Perera, 2012, Transformation plasticity and the effect of temperature on the mechanical behaviour of Hawkesbury sandstone at atmospheric pressure, Engineering Geology, vol 151, pp. 120-127.
- 15.Ranjith, P.G., and M.S.A Perera, 2011, A new tri-axial apparatus to study the mechanical and fluid flow aspects of carbon dioxide sequestration in geological formations, Fuel, vol 90, issue 8, pp. 2751-2759.
- 16.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., Bouazza, A., Kodikara, J., and D. Airey, 2011, A review of coal properties pertinent to carbon dioxide sequestration in coal seams: with special reference to Victorian brown coals, Environmental Earth Sciences, vol 64, issue 1, pp. 223-235.
- 17.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., and P. Mironov, 2011, Effects of saturation medium and pressure on strength parameters of Latrobe Valley brown coal: Carbon dioxide, water and nitrogen saturations, Energy, vol 36, issue 12, pp. 6941-6947.
- 18.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., and D. Airey, 2011, Numerical simulation of gas flow through porous sandstone and its experimental validation, Fuel, vol 90, issue 2, pp. 547-554.
- 19.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Airey, D., and S.K. Choi, 2011, Sub- and super-critical carbon dioxide flow behavior in naturally fractured black coal: An experimental study, Fuel, vol 90, issue 11, pp. 3390-3397.
- 20.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., and D. Airey, 2011, The effects of sub-critical and super-critical carbon dioxide adsorption-induced coal matrix swelling on the permeability of naturally fractured black coal, Energy, vol 36, issue 11, pp. 6442-6450.
- 21.Yasar, E., Ranjith, P.G., and M.S.A. Perera, 2010, Physico-mechanical behaviour of southeastern Melbourne sedimentary rocks, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, vol 47, issue 3, pp. 481-487.
- 22.Hamamoto, S., Perera, M.S.A., Resurreccion, A., Kawamoto, K., Hasegawa, S., Komatsu, T., and P. Moldrup, 2009, The solute diffusion coefficient in variably-compacted, unsaturated volcanic ash soils. Vadose Zone Journal, vol.8, Issue.4, pp.942-952.
- Refereed conference papers
- 1.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., and S.K. Choi, 2012, A parametric study to investigate the effect of injuction and production well operation on CO2 sequestration process in deep unmineable coal seams, Harmonizing Rock Engineering and the Environment, CRC Press, London UK, pp. 1353-1356.
- 2.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., and D. Airey, 2011, An experimental study to investigate the effective factors for the performance of coal mass natural cleat system upon CO2 sequestration process in deep coal seams, 28th Annual International Pittsburgh Coal Conference 2011, International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania USA, pp. 2373-2385.
- 3.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G., Choi, S.K., Bouazza, A., and J. Kodikara, 2011, Effects of seam conditions, injection pressure, and gas composition on CO2 sequestration in coal, GeoHunan 2011 - Advances in Unsaturated Soil, Geo-Hazard, and Geo-Environmental Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, USA, pp. 250-257.
- 4.Perera, M.S.A., Ranjith, P.G.,Choi, and S.K. Choi, 2010, Development of empirical models for the prediction of gas sorption capacity in coals, Geologically Active: Proceedings of the 11th IAEG Congress, CRC Press, London UK, pp. 4443-4448.
- 5.Perera, M.S.A., Resurreccion, A.C., Kawamoto, K., Komatsu, T., and P. Moldrup, 2007, Effect of compaction on solute diffusion in volcanic ash soil. Proceedings of 9th Japanese Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE) Conference, Yokohama, Japan, pp: 203-206.
- 6.Perera, M.S.A., Resurreccion, A.C., Kawamoto, K., Komatsu, T., and P. Moldrup, 2007, Comparison of soil compaction effect on solute diffusivity between normal mineral soils and volcanic ash soils. Proceeding of 49th Japanese Society of Soil Physics (JSSP) Conference, Fukuoka, Japan, pp: 92-93.
- 7.Perera, M.S.A., Resurreccion, A.C., Hamamoto, S., Kawamoto, K., Komatsu, T., Hasegawa, S., and P. Moldrup, 2007, Solute diffusivity of repacked volcanic ash soil: Effect of changes in pore size distribution due to soil compaction. Proceedings of American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall meeting, San Francisco, USA, pp: 154-155.
- 8.Perera, M.S.A., Hamamoto, S., Resurreccion, A.C., Kawamoto, K., Moldrup, P., Komatsu, T., and S. Hasegawa, 2008, Comparison of solute diffusivity between volcanic ash soil and normal mineral soils. Paper presented at Japan Geoscience Union (JPGU) meeting. Chiba, Japan, J251-P005.
- 9.Hamamoto, S., Perera, M.S.A., Resurreccion, A.C., Kawamoto, K., Komatsu, T., and P. Moldrup, 2008, The effect of soil compaction on solute diffusion in volcanic ash soil. Paper presented at the 2008 Interfaces against Pollution (IAP) Conference, Chiba, Japan.
- 1. Geosequestration of carbon dioxide in coal beds, saline aquifers and depleted oil reservoirs.
- 2. Enhanced coal bed methane recovery (ECBM) and oil recover processes.
- 3. Permeability of rock mass wrt to oil and gas recovery.
- 4. Modeling of multiphase flow through rocks.