Department of Civil Engineering
- +61 3 990 54949
- Room 124, Building 69, Clayton Campus
- B.E.(Hon), GradDipMgt, MBA, M.Sc., PhD., F.I.E.Aust. FITE.
Professor William Young is Emeritus Professor, Monash University. He has a distinguished professional and academic career, having worked at Monash University since 1975 (39 years) and prior to joining Monash in the transport industry in England, Germany and several States of Australia for 4 years. He has also held visiting positions at Oxford, Nanyang, Karlsruhe, Michigan State and Hong Kong Universities, and the Australian Bureau of Transport Economics and Communication Economics.
He received his BE (with Honours) degree from the University of New South Wales (1970), his Graduate Diploma in Management and MBA from Deakin University (1997, 1999), and his Master of Science (1990) and PhD (1982) from Monash University.
Professor Young has wide-ranging interests and has researched, consulted and published widely in the land-use/transport/environment interaction, parking, engineering management and education areas. He has worked on several international research projects with teams from Sweden, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK, Germany and Indonesia, and was an Associate Editor of the international journal Transportation for 12 years. He has published over three hundred papers and co-authored four books on transportation. He has been awarded an ARRB Research Conference - Life Time Achievement Award (2014); Institute of Transportation Engineers (Australia and New Zealand), Contribution to the Profession Award (2013); Alumnus of the Year, Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University (2010); a Chartered Institute of Transport Excellence Award, Bureau of Transport and Communication Fellowship, Alexander Von Humboldt Fellowship, and Monash Postgraduate Award.
He has 39 years experience in teaching at an undergraduate and postgraduate level, and has also developed and run many distance education programs, short courses and workshops for industry.
Professor Young has held a number of senior administrative positions at Monash, including: Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1999-2007), Head of the Caulfield Division of the Department of Civil Engineering (1995-7), Head of the Institute of Transport Studies (Monash) (1995-8, 2005, 10, 11-date), Head of the Monash Transport Group (1994,5,6, 2008-date), Director of Graduate and Further Education in the Faculty of Engineering (2001-7) and Chairperson of the Monash University Advisory Committee on People with Disabilities (1997-2002).
- Aghabayk K., Sarvi M., Young W. (2014), Attribute Selection for Modelling Drivers Car-Following Behaviour in Heterogeneous Congested Traffic Conditions, Transportmetrica A: Transport Science, vol. 10, no.5, pp. 457-468.
- Young, W., Sobhani, A., Lenne, M., Sarvi, M.,(2014) Simulation of Safety: A review of the state of the art in road safety simulation modelling, Accident Analysis and Prevention 66C (2014), 89-103.
- Aghabayk K., Forouzideh N., Young W. (2013) Exploring a Local Linear Model Tree Approach to Car-Following Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 28(8), 581-593. Impact Factor 3.348
- Sobhani, A., Young, W., Sarvi, M., 2013, A simulation based approach to assess the safety performance of road locations, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies [P], l 32,SI, Pergamon-Elsevier Science Ltd, Oxford England UK, 144-158 Impact factor 2.06
- Sobhani, A., Young, W., Bahrololoom, S. and Sarvi, M. (2013). Calculating Time-To-Collision for analysing right turning behaviour at signalised intersections. Road & Transport Research, 22( 3) 49-61.
- Aghabayk Eagely, S.K., Sarvi, M., Young, W., (2012), Understanding the dynamics of heavy vehicle interactions in car-following, Journal of Transportation Engineering 138(12), American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston VA USA, pp. 1468-1475. (Impact factor 0.496)
- Hamer P, Currie G and Young W (2012) Equity Implications of Parking Taxes Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board Issue 2319, 21-29 Impact Factor 0.471
- Hamer, P., Young, W., Currie, G., (2012). Do long stay parkers pay the Melbourne congestion levy?, Transport Policy 21, Elsevier Science Ltd, Oxford UK, 71-84. . (Impact Factor 1.024).
- Amir Sobhani, William Young, David Logan, and Sareh Bahrololoom. (2011) "A Kinetic Energy Model of Two Vehicle Crash Injury Severity." Accident Analysis and Prevention, 43(3), 741-754. Impact Factor 1.94
- Aghabayk, K., Moridpour, S., Young, W., Wang, Y. and Sarvi, M. (2011). Investigating Heavy Vehicle Lane Changing Manoeuvres. Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Issue 2260, p 94-101. Impact Factor 0.471
- Archer, J. and Young, W. (2010) A traffic micro-simulation approach to estimate safety at unsignalised intersections. Proceedings of Transportation Research Board 2010 Annual Meeting Washington, USA., pages 1-19.
- Archer, J. and Young, W. (2010). The measurement and modelling of proximal safety measures. Proceedings of the ICE - Transport, Volume 163, Issue 4, pages 191 201 , ISSN: 0965-092X, E-ISSN: 1751-7710 (Impact Factor 0.174)
- Archer, J and Young, W. (2010). Signal Treatments to Reduce the Likelihood of Heavy Vehicle Crashes at Intersections: A Micro-simulation Modeling Approach. American Society of Civil Engineers Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 136, Issue 7, pp 632-639 (Impact factor 0.496).
- Bonsall P. and Young W. (2010) Is there a case for replacing parking charges by road user charges?. Transport Policy 17, 323-334. (Impact Factor 1.024).
- Young, W. (2010). Parking. In Nijkamp, P., Button, K. and and Vega, H. (eds) The Transportation Dictionary . (Edward Elgar Press: England)
- Wang, Y., Papageorgiou, M., Gaffney, J., Papamichail, I., Rose, G., Young, W., 2010, Local ramp metering in random-location bottlenecks downstream of metered on-ramp, Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board 89th Annual Meeting, 10th January 2010 to 14 January 2010, Transportation Research Board National Academy, Washington DC, USA, 1-20.
- Shakeltion , M. and Young, W. (2010). Towards performance measures for road infrastructure research programs the Australian Experience. Transportation Research Record, Washington, USA.
- ARCHER. J. and YOUNG W. (2009). Signal treatments to reduce heavy vehicle crash-risk at metropolitan highway intersections Accident Analysis and Prevention. AAP1809 (Published on-line: 8-FEB-2009, DOI information: 10.1016/j.aap.2008.12.015)
- ARCHER. J. and YOUNG W. (2009). The application of a micro-simulation model to study the safety performance of a traffic signal incident-reduction function. Proceedings of the 88th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board , Washington USA Session 245 pp 1 -12.
- HAMER, P., CURRIE, G. And YOUNG, W. (2009). Exploring travel and parking impacts of the Melbourne CBD parking levy. Australian Transport Research Forum, Aukland New Zealand.
- YOUNG, W. and ARCHER, J. (2009). Traffic microsimulation modelling to study a traffic signal incident reduction function. Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2103. pp 80-87.
- SHACKELTON, M. AND YOUNG, W. (2008). Assessing the impact and quality of transportation research. in Proceedings of the 23rd ARRB Conference, Adelaide, July, ARRB Vermont South VIC, pp. 1-14.
- YOUNG, W. (2008). A view of parking policy in and Australian city. In The implications and effectiveness of transport demand management measures: An international perspective, Eds Stephen Ison and Tom Rye, Ashgate Publishing Limited: England, 151-163.
- ARCHER, J., SPIRODONIS, F. AND YOUNG, W. (2008). Transport data, models and analysis, and knowledge development. 3rd International Conference on Transport Simulation, Brisbane, Australia, 1-14
- CURRIE, G., SARVI, M. and YOUNG, W. (2007). Balanced Road Space Allocation: A Comprehensive Approach, Journal of the Institute of Transportation Engineers, July.
- CURRIE, G. , SARVI, M. and YOUNG, W. (2006). A New Approach to Evaluation On-Road Public Transport Priority Projects: Balancing the Demand for Limited Road Space. Transportation (published online 15/11/06 DOI:10.1007/s11116-006-9107-3).
- TAYLOR, R. and YOUNG, W.. (2006). Transport systems and systems quality, in Proceedings of the AITPM Annual Conference- delivering sustainable transport its got legs, Melbourne , 3-4 August 2006, AITPM Adelaide SA, pp. 169-179.
- YOUNG, W. and CURRIE, G. (2006). Parking and urban development, in Proceedings of the 22nd ARRB Conference Research Into Practice, Canberra, 29 Oct-2 Nov 2006, ARRB Vermont South VIC, pp. 1-12.
- CURRIE, G., SARVI, M. and YOUNG, W. (2005). Road Space Allocation for Public Transport Priority, in Proceedings of AITPM Conference, Brisbane, pp 77-98.
- BONSALL, P. , LIU, R. and YOUNG, W. (2005). Modelling safety-related driving behaviour Impact of parameter values, Transport Research , Part A, Elsevier Ltd, Issue 39, pp 425-444.
- YOUNG, W. and TAN, Y.W. (2005). Data and parking simulation models, In: Simulation Approaches in Transportation Analysis Recent Advances and Challenges, Eds. R. Kitamura and M. Kuwahara, Springer, pp. 235-267.
- TAN, Y.W. and YOUNG, W. (2004). Simulation support for modelling traffic and parking in urban development. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Decision Making in Urban and Civil Engineering, Porto, Portugal, 28-30 October 2004, University of Coimbra, Portugal, pp 1-10.
- CURRIE, G., SARVI, M. and YOUNG, W. (2004). A comprehensive approach to balanced road space allocation in relation to transit priority. Proceedings of the Transport Research Board 83rd Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., USA, 11-15 January 2004, pp 1-14.
- CURRIE, G., SARVI, M. and YOUNG, W. (2004). A New Methodology for Allocating Road Space for Public Transport Priority. In: Brebbia, C.A. & Wadhwa, L.C. (Ed.) Urban Transport X Urban transport and the environment in the 21st century, WITpress, Germany, pp 375-388.
- YOUNG, W. (2004). Foreword, In: Strutured Conceptual Design The New Frontier, by B. Lemass, Frances Eden (Ed.), Pearson Education Australia , Frenchs Forest, NSW, ISBN 07339 69887. NOROJONO, O. and YOUNG, W. (2003). A stated preference freight mode choice model. Transport Planning and Technology 26(2), 195-212.
- TAN, Y. W. and YOUNG, W. (2003) The efficient design of traffic systems in and around multi-storey parking facilities. Proc 21st ARRB/REAAA Conference (CDRom) Australian Road Research Board, Cairns. AYATI, E. and YOUNG, W. (2002) Estimation of the cost of rural road crashes in a developing country. Traffic Engineering and Control 43(2), 56-60.
- AYATI, E. and YOUNG, W. (2002) The cost effectiveness and rate of return of investments in traffic safety projects in a developing country. Traffic Engineering and Control 43(8), 307-315.
- TAN, Y.W. and YOUNG, W. (2002) Modelling traffic and parking in multi-storey parking systems. International Conference on Seamless and Sustainable Transport, Singapore.
- YOUNG, W. (2002). Transport Infrastructure. Encyclopaedia on Environmental Change, Volume 3 (Ed Ted Munns), John Wiley and Sons: New York.
- LIEPE, B. and YOUNG, W. (2001). Level of service on collector roads. Proceedings of 20th ARRB Conference, (CDRom), Australian Road Research Board, Melbourne.
- NOROJONO, O. and YOUNG, W. (2001). The Application of an Ordered Probit Model to Investigate Shippers Perceptions of Rail Freight Services in Indonesia. Australian Road and Transport Research 10 (2), pp 40-49.
- YOUNG, W. (2001). Parking and Traffic Control in Handbook of Transport Systems and Traffic Control, Vol 3, 1st Edition (Eds Hensher, D.A. and Button, J.) , Pergamon, Oxford UK, pp 375-386, Perspectives on Travel Behaviour: Decision Paradigms, in Travel Behaviour Research
- GARLING, T. AND YOUNG, W. (2001) Perspectives on Travel Behaviour: Decision Paradigms in Travel Behaviour Research The Leading Edge, 1st Edition, Elsevier Science Ltd, Oxford, UK, pp 219-225.
- TAYLOR, M.A.P., BONSALL, P. and YOUNG, W. (2000). "Understanding traffic systems" (Gower Publishing Co.: England).
- YOUNG, W. (2000). "Modeling Parking". In Hensher, D.A. and Button, K.J. (eds) Handbook of Transport Modelling (Pergamon Press: Oxford) NOROJONO, O. and
- YOUNG, W. (2000). "Freight mode choice behaviour: Lesson from a small sample size analysis". Gadjah Mada International Journal of Business 2(1), 53-62.
- YOUNG, W. and DALY, P. (1998). "'Quality of life', road pricing and level of service of urban roads". Proceedings of the International Conference on Transportation into the next Millennium, 169-77.
- YUE, W.L. and YOUNG, W. (1998). "Using Parksim2 to measure safety in parking lots". Journal of the Institute of Engineers Singapore, 38(5), 10-20.
- GU, K. and YOUNG, W. (1998). "Verifying and validating a land use-transport-environment model". Transportation Planning and Technology, 21(3), 181-202.
- LE, H. and YOUNG, W. (1998). "Modelling shopping centre traffic movement (1): Model validation". Transport Planning and Technology, 21 (3), 203-33. LE, H. and
- YOUNG, W. (1998). "Modelling shopping centre traffic movement (2): Model application". Transport Planning and Technology, 21, 309-21.
- LEMASS, B. and YOUNG, W. (1998). "A knowledge based integration of conceptual and detailed design of road pavements". Proceeding of 19th ARRB, 148-64.
- YOUNG, W., TAYLOR, M.A.P. and GIPPS, P.G. (1989). "Microcomputers in traffic engineering". (Research Studies Press, Taunton, England)
- TAYLOR, M.A.P. and YOUNG, W. (1988). "Traffic analysis: New solutions and new technologies". (Hargreen Publishing Co.: Melbourne) YOUNG, W. and THOMPSON, R. (1987). "PARKSIM/1 (3): data, presentation and evaluation". Traffic Engineering and Control 28(5), 294-297.
- YOUNG, W. and THOMPSON, R. (1987). "PARKSIM/1 (2): a computer graphics approaches for parking lot layouts". Traffic Engineering and Control 28(3), 120-123.
- YOUNG, W. (1986). "PARKSIM/1 (1): a simulation model of driver behaviour in parking lots". Traffic Engineering and Control 27(12), 606-613.
- YOUNG, W. (1984). "A non-tradeoff decision making model of residential location choice". Transportation Research 18A, 1-11.
- YOUNG, W. and RICHARDSON, A.J. (1978). "Residential preference: A perceptual view of Melbourne". Proc. 4th Australian Transport Research Forum, 591-622.
He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers, Australia (IEAust)), the Institute of Transportation Engineers. He has been Chair of the Victorian Transport Committee (IEAust), the National Committee of Transport (IEAust), and the Institution of Transportation Engineers Australia.
- Professor Young has wide-ranging interests and has researched, consulted and published widely in the land-use/transport/environment interaction, parking, engineering management and education areas. He has worked on several international research projects with teams from Sweden, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK, Germany and Indonesia, and is on the editorial board of the Institute of Engineers (UK) Transport Journals. He has published over three hundred papers and co-authored four books on transportation. He has been awarded a Chartered Institute of Transport Excellence Award, Bureau of Transport and Communication Fellowship, Alexander Von Humboldt Fellowship, and Monash Postgraduate Award.