Department of Materials Engineering
- +61 3 990 59673
- Room 257, Building 82, Clayton Campus
Ph. D - University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, 1999
BSc, MS - Nanjing University of Science and Technology, China
ARC Queen Elizabeth II Fellow, University of Wollongong (2006-2008)
Research Fellow, University of Washington/Philip Morris, USA (2005-2006)
California NanoSystems Institute/Hewlett-Packard Postdoctoral Scholar, University of California, Los Angeles, USA (2004-2005)
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Washington, USA (2002-2004)
Winner of the Scopus Young Researcher of the Year award in Engineering and Technology (2010)
Our recent research is centred on graphene-based materials. Graphene is a single layer of graphite. This two-dimensional carbon nanostructure exhibits extraordinary electrical, thermal, mechanical properties as well as extremely high specific surface area. Since 2006, we have been developing innovative concepts to address the key scientific/technical challenges relating to scalable synthesis, processing and assembly of graphene-related materials. We are particularly keen to use this exceptional carbon molecule to build up new graphene-based assemblies for a broad range of applications. Our mission is to develop new materials to address the great challenges that our society is facing, such as energy, water, health care and environmental protection.
- (Recent representative publications)
- Qiu, L., Liu, Z., Chang, S., Wu, Y. & Li, D* Biomimetic superelastic graphene-based cellular monoliths, Nature Communications 3, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms2251 (2012).
- Cheng, C. & Li, D*. Solvated graphenes: An emerging class of functional soft materials (invited review), Advanced Materials DOI:10.1002/adma.201203567 (2012).
- Wang, Y.F., Yang, X.W., Qiu, L. & Li, D.* Revisiting the capacitance of polyaniline by using graphene hydrogel film as a substrate: the importance of nano-architecturing, Energy and Environmental Science DOI:10.1039/C2EE24018A (2012).
- Zhu, J., Cheng, C. Yang, X.W., Wang, Y.F., Qiu, L. & Li, D*. Dynamic electrosorption analysis as an effective means to characterize the structure of bulk graphene assemblies, Chemistry-a European Journal, DOI: 10.1002/chem.201203219 (2012).
- Yang, X. W., Qiu, L. Cheng, C. Wu, Y.Z. Ma, Z.F. & Li, D*. Ordered Gelation of Chemically Converted Graphene for Next-Generation Electroconductive Hydrogel Films. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 22, 7325-7328 (2011).
- Yang, X. W., Zhu, J. W., Qiu, L. & Li, D*. Bio-inspired effective prevention of restacking in multilayered graphene films: Towards the next generation of high-performance supercapacitors. Advanced Materials, 23,2833-2838,2011.
- Qiu, L., Zhang, X. H., Yang, W. R., Wang, Y. F., Simon, G. P. & Li, D*. Controllable corrugation of chemically converted graphene sheets in water and potential application for nanofiltration. Chemical Communications, 47, 5810-5812. (2011).
- Bei, F. L., Hou, X. L., Chang, S., Simon, G. G. & Li, D*. Interfacing colloidal graphene oxide sheets with gold nanoparticles. Chemistry: a European Journal, 17, 5958-5964, 2011
- Hilder, M., Winther-Jensen, B., Li, D., Forsyth, M. & MacFarlane, D. R. Direct electro-deposition of graphene from aqueous suspensions. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., DOI:10.1039/C1031CP20173E, in press.
- Qiu, L., Yang, X. W., Gou, X. L., Yang, W. R., Ma, Z. F., Wallace, G. G. & Li, D*. Dispersing Carbon Nanotubes with Graphene Oxide in Water and Synergistic Effects between Graphene Derivatives. Chemistry-a European Journal 16, 10653-10658 (2010).
- Tran, H. D., Li, D. & Kaner, R. B. One-Dimensional Conducting Polymer Nanostructures: Bulk Synthesis and Applications. Advanced Materials 21, 1487-1499 (2009).
- Li, D., Huang, J. X. & Kaner, R. B. Polyaniline Nanofibers: A Unique Polymer Nanostructure for Versatile Applications. Accounts of Chemical Research 42, 135-145 (2009).
- Li, D*., Muller, M. B., Gilje, S., Kaner, R. B. & Wallace, G. G. Processable aqueous dispersions of graphene nanosheets. Nature Nanotechnology 3, 101-105 (2008).
- Li, D*. & Kaner, R. B* Graphene-based materials. Science 320, 1170-1171 (2008).
- Chen, H., Muller, M. B., Gilmore, K. J., Wallace, G. G. & Li, D*. Mechanically strong, electrically conductive, and biocompatible graphene paper. Advanced Materials 20, 3557-+ (2008).
- Li, D. & Kaner, R. B. Shape and aggregation control of nanoparticles: Not shaken, not stirred. Journal of the American Chemical Society 128, 968-975 (2006).
- Li, D., McCann, J. T. & Xia, Y. Use of electrospinning to directly fabricate hollow nanofibers with functionalized inner and outer surfaces. Small 1, 83-86 (2005).
- Li, D. & Kaner, R. B. Processable stabilizer-free polyaniline nanofiber aqueous colloids. Chemical Communications, 3286-3288 (2005).
- Li, D. & Xia, Y. N. Electrospinning of nanofibers: Reinventing the wheel? Advanced Materials 16, 1151-1170 (2004).
- Li, D. & Xia, Y. N. Direct fabrication of composite and ceramic hollow nanofibers by electrospinning. Nano Letters 4, 933-938 (2004).
- Li, D. & Xia, Y. N. Nanomaterials - Welding and patterning in a flash. Nature Materials 3, 753-754 (2004).
- Li, D. & Xia, Y. Direct fabrication of composite and ceramic hollow nanofibers by electrospinning. Nano Letters 4, 933-938 (2004).
- Li, D. & Xia, Y. Electrospinning of nanofibers: Reinventing the wheel? Advanced Materials 16, 1151-1170 (2004).
- Li, D. & Xia, Y. Welding and patterning in a flash. Nature Materials 3, 753-754 (2004).
- Li, D., Wang, Y. & Xia, Y. Electrospinning Nanofibers as Uniaxially Aligned Arrays and Layer-by-Layer Stacked Films. Advanced Materials 16, 361-366 (2004).
- Li, D., Babel, A., Jenekhe, S. A. & Xia, Y. Nanofibers of conjugated polymers prepared by electrospinning with a two-capillary spinneret. Advanced Materials 16, 2062-2066 (2004).
- Li, D. & Xia, Y. N. Fabrication of titania nanofibers by electrospinning. Nano Letters 3, 555-560 (2003).
- Li, D., Wang, Y. L. & Xia, Y. N. Electrospinning of polymeric and ceramic nanofibers as uniaxially aligned arrays. Nano Letters 3, 1167-1171 (2003).
- Li, D., Herricks, T. & Xia, Y. Magnetic nanofibers of nickel ferrite prepared by electrospinning. Applied Physics Letters 83, 4586-4588 (2003).