Department of Materials Engineering
- +61 3 990 54919
- Room 109, Building 69, Clayton Campus
- B.Eng (Hons.), Monash, 2001. Ph.D, Monash, 2004. GCHE, Monash, 2010
- ARC Australian Research Fellow
- 2014 Fellow. NACE (USA)
- 2013 Victorian Tall Poppy Award (AIPS)
- 2012 VC's Award for Excellence in Research by an Early Career Researcher
- 2012 H.H. Uhlig Award, NACE, U.S.A.
- 2012 Deans Early Career Researcher Award, Monash University.
- 2010 Monash Research Accelerator Award.
- 2007 Electrochimica Acta Award, ISE, Switzerland.
- 2007 Australia-China Fellowship. DEST (Australia) & MOST (China).
- 2003 AmaC Corrosion Research Award, ACA, Australia.
- 2003 Harvey Herro Award in Applied Corrosion Technology. NACE, U.S.A.
- 2000 Austrim-Nylex Prize.
- 1999 ESSO Engineering Award.
- Electrochimica Acta. Handling Editor, Corrosion.
- CORROSION (N.A.C.E.)
- Corrosion Engineering, Science and Technology
- Journal of Testing and Evaluation (ASTM)
- Corrosion Reviews
ISE, ACA, NACE, ECS, TMS
- Dr. Birbilis' research interests include the broad areas of corrosion and corrosion control. Current focus is centred on microstructure-corrosion relationships, exploring the metallurgical factors that dictate localised corrosion initiation and propagation. Interests lie in the areas of:
- -Advanced electrochemical analysis, including electrochemical AFM/STM and transient techniques
- -Kinetic stability of heterogeneous materials, such as aerospace alloys
- -Fundamental characterisation of corrosion processes on the nano/micro-scale, employing high resolution microscopy
- -Development of corrosion resistant light alloys
- -Gradient structures
- -Corrosion resistant coatings and claddings