- +61 3 990 54936
- Room 144, Building 82, Clayton Campus
- BSc Chemistry, Adelaide 1981 BSc(Hons) Chemistry/Materials Eng. Adelaide 1982 PhD Chemistry/Materials Eng., Adelaide 1987 Dip. Met. Bureau of Meteorology/Melbourne/Monash 1987
Professor Simon's research interests include the following:
Polymer Nanocomposites. New materials which involve blends or mixtures of nano-sized ceramic units, nanoparticles and nanotubes with plastics (thermoset, thermoplastic and elastomer) are also being investigated. This is usually via the melt blending, in situ polymerization or solution blending methods. Modification of the nanotubes is also being undertaken. Such materials are useful in medical applications, opto-electronic devices, in gas separation membranes and to toughen thermosets. Our focus at the moment is particularly on functional nanocomposites using magnetic nanoparticles and carbon nanotubes for properties such as electrical conductivity and electron emission. We are also producing nanostructured materials using electropolymerisation for similar reasons. We are also looking at novel nanocomposites, particularly using sustainable polymers, and ionic liquids which can be classified as "green" solvents.
Dendritic Materials. Both dendrimers and hyperbranched materials are being investigated in terms of their homopolymer structure-property relationships and in combination with other thermoplastic and thermoset materials as processing aids and toughening agents, and in nanocomposites
Polymer Blends. Properties of polymer blends and their interfaces are being studied in a number of ways such as with regard to their dielectric mobility and free volume properties. Blends include those of plastics, blends with liquid crystalline polymers and with ceramics, often for biomedical applications.
Thermosets and Their Toughening. Research is continuing into cure monitoring (such as by infrared and dielectric relaxation) of crosslinked polymers. They are being toughened by addition of thermoplastic phases and core-shell particles - for ultimate use as aerospace materials.
Electrospinning of Nanofibers . The technique of electrospinning is looking at making new nano-dimensional functional materials for a range of applications from mechanical to biomedical, using a range of materials and techniques. In particular, we are interested in biomimetic (bimimicry) types of stuctures with multiple layers of material (polymer and nanoparticles) to produce enhanced mechanical and biomaterials properties.
- CJ Garvey, IH Parker, GP Simon, AK Whittaker and RB Knott, "An experimental study by NMR and SANS of the ambient hydration of paper" in The Science of Papermaking - Transactions of the 12th Fundamental Research Symposium, Vol 1, Oxford, September 2001, pp 359-392, Ed. CF Baker, The Pulp and Paper Fundamental Research Society, Bury, Lancashire, UK, ISBN 0 9541126 0 1, 2001.
- Jalal Azadmanjiri, Pejman Hijati-Talemi, George P Simon, Kiyonori Suzuki and Cordelia Selomulya, “Synthesis and Electromagnetic Interference Shielding Properties of Iron Oxide/Polypyrrole Nanocomposites”, Polymer Engineering and Science, vol 51(2), pp 247-253, 2011.
- Dan Li, Xinyi Zhang, Jianfeng Yao, George P Simon and Huanting Wang, “Stimuli-responsive hydrogels as a new class of draw agent for forward osmosis desalination”, Chemical Communications, vol 47(6), pp 1710-1712, 2011.
- Xingxun Liu, Sarah Khor, Eustathios Petinakis, Long Yu, George P Simon, Katherine Dean and Stuart Bateman, “Effect of hydrophilic fillers on thermal degradation of Poly (lactic acid)”, Thermochimica Acta, vol 509 (1-2), pp 147-151, 2010.
- GP Simon, "Dielectric Properties of Polymeric Liquid Crystals", in Dielectric Spectroscopy of Polymeric Materials, Eds. JP Runt and JJ Fitzgerald, ACS Publications, Washington, Ch 12, pp 329–378, ISBN 084 123 4868, 1997.
- DE Turek, GP Simon and C Tiu "Relationships Among Rheology, Morphology and Solid-State Properties in Thermotropic Liquid Crystalline Polymers" in Handbook of Applied Polymer Processing Technology, Eds. N P Cheremisinoff and Cheresminoff, Marcel Dekker, New York, Ch 10, pp 307 – 333, ISBN 0-8247-9679-9, 1996.
- GP Simon, "Dielectric Relaxation Spectroscopy of Thermoplastics and Blends" in Materials Forum, vol 18, 235-264, IEAUST Publications, Canberra, ISBN 0160-5952, 1994.
- H Wang, C Tiu and GP Simon, “Properties of Dendrimers and Hyperbranched Polymers and Their Blends” in Advanced Polymeric Materials: Structure Property Relationships, Eds. SF Advani and GO Shonaike, CRC Press, Fl., USA, ISBN 1587160471, 2003.
- K Roberts, WD Cook, P Burchill and GP Simon, “Static and Dynamic Fracture Behaviour of Ribber-Modified Epoxy and Vinyl Ester Thermosetting Polymers” in Advanced Polymeric Materials: Structure Property Relationships, Eds. SF Advani and GO Shonaike, CRC Press, Fl., USA ISBN 1587160471, 2003.
- Polymer Alloys and Blends, Eds. GO Shonaike and GP Simon, Marcel Dekker, New York, ISBN 0-8247-1980-8, 1999.
- GP Simon and A Schoenhals, “Dielectric Relaxation and Thermally Stimulated Currents” in Polymer Characterisation Techniques and Their Application to Blends, Ed. GP Simon, American Chemical Society, Washington, ISBN 0841238189, 2003.
- Pejman Hojati-Talemi, Mehdi Asqhari-Khiavi and George Simon, “Preparation of carbon nanoparticles and nanofibers by a simple microwave based method and studying the field emission properties”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol 127(1-2), pp 156-161, 2011.
- Book Chapters
- Qi-Zhi Chen, Shu-Ling Liang, Jiang Wang and George P Simon, “Manipulation of mechanical compliance of elastomeric PGS by incorporation of halloysite nanotubes for soft tissue engineering applications”, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, in press, doi:10.1016/j.jmbbm.2011.05.038, accepted 29 May 2011.
- H Liu, L Yu, K Dean, GP Simon, E Petinakis and L Cheng, “Starch gelatinization under pressure studied by high pressure DSC”, Carbohydrate Polymers, vol 75(3), pp 395-400, 2009.
- Pei Chen, Long Yu, George P Simon, Eustathios Petinakis, Katherine Dean and Ling Chen, “Morphologies and microstructures of cornstarches with different amylose/amylopectin ratios studied by confocal laser scanning microscope”, Journal of Cereal Science, vol 50(2), pp 241- 247, 2009.
- C Lau, R Cervini, SR Clarke, M Ginic-Markovic, JG Matisons, KR Attkinson, S Hawkins, CP Huynh and GP Simon, "The Effect of Functionalization on Structure and Electrical Conductivity of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes", Journal Nanoparticle Research, vol 10(S1), pp 77-88, 2008.
- AA Goodwin, GP Simon and MD Zipper, "Structure-Property Relations in poly(aryl ether ketone) Blends" in Polymer Alloys and Blends, Eds. GO Shonaike and GP Simon, Marcel Dekker, New York, Ch. 14, pp 381- 414, ISBN 0-8247-1980-8, 1999. TT Hsieh, C Tiu, GP Simon, SR Andrews, G Williams, KH Hsieh and CH Chen, "Blends of Liquid Crystalline Polymers with other Liquid Crystalline Polymers" in Polymer Alloys and Blends, Eds. GO Shonaike and GP Simon, Marcel Dekker, New York, Ch. 12, pp 331-363, ISBN 0-8247-1980-8, 1999.
- Chi P Huynh, Stephen C Hawkins, Marta Redrado, Scott Barnes, Deborah Lau, William Humphries and George P Simon, “Evolution of directly-spinnable carbon nanotube growth by recycling analysis”, Carbon, vol 49(6), pp 1989-1997, 2011.
- Pei Chen, Long Yu, George P Simon, Xingxun Liu, Katherine Dean and Ling Chen, "Internal structures and phase-transitions of starch granules during gelatinization", Carbohydrate Polymers, vol 83(4), pp 1975-1983, 2011.
- Elda Markovic, Stephen Clarke, Janis Matisons, and George P Simon, “Synthesis of POSS-Methyl Methacrylate-based Cross-Linked Hybrid Materials”, Macromolecules, vol 41(5), pp 1685-1692, 2008.
- Graham H Edward, Jisheng Ma and George P Simon, “The Effect of Shear Deformation on Nylon-6 and Two Types of Nylon-6/Clay Nanocomposite", Macromolecules, vol 41(2), pp 409-420, 2008.
- Edited Books
- H Liu, L Yu, K Dean, GP Simon, E Petinakis and L Cheng, “Effect of annealing and pressure on microstructure of corn starches with different amylase/amylopectin ratios”, Carbonydrate Research, vol 344(3), pp 350-354, 2009.
- Wenyi Yan, Chung Lun Pun, Zonghui Wu and George P Simon, “Some issues on nanoindentation method to measure the elastic modulus of particles in composites”, Composites Part B Engineering, in press, doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2011.05.002, accepted 9 February 2011.
- Ling Qiu, Xuehua Zhang, Wenrong Yang, Yufei Wang, George P Simon and Dan Li, “Controllable corrugation of chemically converted graphene sheets in water and potential application for nanofiltration”, Chemical Communications, vol 47(20), pp 5810-5812, 2011.
- Judy N Hart, Yi-Bing Cheng, George P Simon and Leone Spiccia, “Alternative Materials and Processing Techniques for Optimized Nanostructures in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells”, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol 8(5), pp 2230-2248, 2008.
- HC Weerasinghe, PM Sirimanne, George P Simon, Yi-Bing Cheng. “Fabrication of efficient solar cells on plastic substrates using binder-free ball milled titania slurries”, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol 206(1), pp 64-70, 2009.
- Pejman Hojati-Talemi and George P Simon, “Enhancement of field emission of carbon nanotubes using a simple microwave plasma method”, Carbon, vol 49(2), pp 484-486, 2011.
- Melanie Morcom, Ken Atkinson and George P Simon, “The effect of carbon nanotube properties on the degree of dispersion and reinforcement of high density polyethylene”, Polymer, vol 51(15), pp 3450-3550, 2010.
- Pejman Hojati-Talemi and George P Simon, “Electropolymerization of polypyrrole/carbon nanotube nanocomposite films over an electrically nonconductive membrane”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol 114(33), pp 13962-13966, 2010.
- Pejman Hojati-Talemi and George P Simon, “Preparation of graphene nanowalls by a simple microwave-based method”, Carbon, vol 48(14), pp 3993–4000, 2010.
- Pejman Hojati-Talemi, Jalal Azadmanjiri, George P. Simon, “A Simple microwave-based method for preparation of Fe3O4/carbon composite nanoparticles”, Materials Letters, vol 64(15), pp 1684-1687, 2010.
- Shuyan Li, George P Simon and Janis G Matisons, “Morphology of blends containing high concentrations of POSS Nanoparticles in Different Polymer Matrices”, Polymer Engineering & Science, vol 50(5), pp 991-999, 2010.
- Pejiman Hojati-Talemi, Raoul Cervini and George P Simon, “Effect of different microwave-based treatments on multi-walled carbon nanotubes”, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol 12(2), pp 393-403, 2010,
- Shuyan Li, George P Simon and Janis G Matisons, “The Effect of Incorporation of POSS Units on Polymer Blend Compatability”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol 115(2), pp 1153-1159, 2010.
- Debdatta Ratna and George P Simon, “Epoxy and hyperbranched polymer blends: Morphology and Free Volume”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol 117(1), pp 557-564, 2010.
- David J Clarke, Janis G Matisons, George P Simon, Marek Samoc and Anna Samoc, “Polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane-bound iminofullerene”, Applied Organometallic Chemistry, vol 24(3), pp 184-188, 2010.
- O Valentino, M Sarno, NG Rainone, MR Nobile, P Ciambelli, HC Neitzert and GP Simon, “Influence of the polymer structure and nanotube concentration on the conductivity and rheological properties of polyethylene/CNT composites”, Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, vol 40(7), pp 2440-2445, 2008.
- DJ Clarke, JG Matisons, GP Simon, M Samoc, A Samok “Polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane bound fulleropyrrolidines”, Applied Organometallic Chemistry, vol 22(8), pp 460-465, 2008.
- SI Yun, D Attard, V Lo, J Davis, H Li, B Latella, F Tsvetkov, H Noorman, S Moricca, R Knott, H Hanley, M Morcom, GP Simon and GE Gadd, “Spray-dried microspheres as a route to clay/polymer nanocomposites”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol 108(3), pp 1550-1556, 2008.
- Hongsheng Liu Long Yu, George P Simon, Katherine Dean and Ling Chen, “Effects of annealing on gelatinization and microstructures of corn starches with different amylose/amylopectin ratios”, Carbohydrate Polymers, vol 77(3), pp 662–669, 2009.
- Fengli Bei, Xueliang Hou, Shery LY Chang, George P Simon, and Dan Li, "Interfacing colloidal graphene oxide sheets with gold nanoparticles", Chemistry – a European Journal, vol 17(21), pp 5958-5964, 2011.
- David Clarke, Simon Mathew, Janis Matisons, George P Simon and Brian W Skelton, “Synthesis and characterization of a range of POSS imides”, Dyes and Pigments, vol 92, pp 659-667, 2011.
- P Travaglia, F Nanni, Pejman Hojati-Talemi, and George P Simon, “Effect of diblock copolymer surfactant on the microstructure and EM properties of CNT nanocomposites “, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol 122(1), pp 35-42, 2011.
- Raoul Cervini, George P Simon, Milena Ginic-Markovic, Janis G Matisons, Chi Huynh and Stephen Hawkins, “Aligned silane-treated MWCNT/liquid crystal polymer films”, Nanotechnology, vol 19(17), 175602 (10pp), 2008.
- M Morcom and GP Simon, “Polymer/CNT Nanocomposites”, in Polymer Carbon Nanotube Nanocomposites, Eds. T McNally and P Potschke, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, ISBN 1 84569 761 8, 2010.
- A Mohhammad and GP Simon, “Rubber Nanocomposites” in Polymer Nanocomposites, Eds. Y Mai and Z Yu, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, ISBN 1 85573 969 0, 2006.
- GP Simon, K Gaff, Y Nagase, Y Takamura and E Akiyama, “Dielectric Relaxation Spectroscopy of Side Chain Liquid Crystalline Copolymers” in Recent Research Developments in Polymer Science, Vol 3, pp 209- 245, Ed. SG Pandalai, Transworld Research Network, Trivandrum, India, ISBN 81-86846-32-8, 1999.
- O Becker and GP Simon, “Epoxy Nanocomposites Based on Layered Silicates and Other Nanostructured Fillers” in Polymer Nanocomposites, Eds. Y Mai and Z Yu , Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, ISBN 1 85573 969 0, 2006.
- Ying Hui Ngo, Dan Li, George P Simon and Gil Garnier, “Paper surfaces functionalized by nanoparticles”, Advances in Colloid and Materials Interface Science, vol 163(1), pp 23-38, 2011.
- GP Simon, "Longitudinal PLC + EP Blends: Miscibility and Crystallization Phenomenon" in Polymer Liquid Crystals, Vol 3, Ed. W Brostow, Chapman and Hall, Ch 7, pp 172–213, ISBN 0-412-60900-2, 1998.
- Pejman Hojati-Talemi and George P Simon, “Field emission study of graphene nanowalls prepared by microwave-plasma method”, Carbon, vol 49(8), pp 2875-2877, 2011.
- H.C. Weerasinghe, PM Sirmanne, GV Franks, George P Simon and Yi-Bing Cheng, “Low temperature chemically sintered nano-crystalline TiO2 electrodes for flexible dye-sensitized solar cells”, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol 213(1), pp 30-36, 2010.
- Polymer Characterisation Techniques and Their Application to Blends, Ed. GP Simon, American Chemical Society, Washington, ISBN 0841238189, 2003.
- Tony J Atchison, Milena Ginic-Markovic, Martin Saunders, Peter Fredericks, Suresh Valiyaveetil, Janis G Matisons and George P Simon, “Polymer Brushes on Mutiwalled Carbon Nanotubes by Activators Regenerated by Electron Transfer for Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization”, Journal Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, in press, doi: 10.1002/pola.24872, accepted 1 July 2011.
- Polymer Blends
- Polymer nanocomposites
- Thermosets and Their Toughening
- Electrospinning of Nanofibers
- Dendritic Materials